Mar
So Stern are going to release a vault edition of the AC/DC Luci edition. What are people's thoughts on this?

4943896.jpg 

4943896 (1).jpg 
Quote 0 0
BSS
Yeah it's unnecessary and totally irrelevant to AC/DC. Now if they had Rosie instead, maybe you could consider giving it a pass?

Also want to say that I've been misled somewhat. I originally blew this off as another in a line of sexist art in relation to the AC/DC pinny. This is because of the machine that was located at Frankie's Pizza. But I just checked and it seems that was a custom backglass. Here's a pic:
[IMG_2652]

They still have an AC/DC there, but it's either a different one, or they changed the glass back now.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
yep. Thats absolutely a custom backglass / translight. I have heard a few operators talk about how the games actually pull more coin when they have sexy girls on them. I'd believe that. Its attention getting.

I have 2 points on this. First, I find it a little hard to get emotional about this kind of unrealistic  representation of reality. I understand that any element of our culture that frames females within a particular sexualised role is only further perpetuating sexist sentiments. However, when its so clearly unrealistic/ cartoon like in this case there appears to be a separation from the representation (the image) and reality. This becomes an argument about censorship in a way. If you can't trust people to make the distinction between what reality is, and this image then you are saying it should be censored. So it is a kin to arguing that violence and every other bad thing in media should be censored.
Take the second backglass posted by BSS. To me this fits in a more grey area because it is an actual photo of a person. Arguably it could be censored, however I'd simply put it in the 'bad taste' category.
Having said all that, I'm not really all that impacted by the sexist sentiment so of course I would not be overly emotional about the situation.

Second point.
Stern are old fashioned and need to fucking modernise.
I guess they have survived by doing what works, but it is clear that the company is run by a bunch of old men. I don't think Stern try to hard to be innovative and do new things. They just do the same old thing thats worked before. I'm so glad they now have Elwin to come up with new ideas.

I really like the hand drawn art, i think it looks awesome. But I would have been just as happy (possibly more happy) with a hand drawn cartoon like image of the band.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
I will just lay my cards on the table: I'm a feminist, but I also own a Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons pinball machine.

I don't think anyone cares to hear how these two seemingly contrasting positions work together, but I will say I unequivocally promote diversity, equality, and women's empowerment in whatever forms it takes. I am also half British and grew up in a household where stupid rude humour was the norm - British comedy of the 70s, 80s and 90s was the bulk of what we watched as a family. As a result I love movies like Austin Powers where 'raunch' is funny. At least for those that find it funny, others find that stuff just stupid.

I would never argue to the contrary if someone said to me they would not play Whoa Nellie because they find it offensive - in fact I would back them in that argument (sadly that stance does often lead to an argument) - because I agree with them. The game is offensive. The backglass is probably the worst offender, and some of the callouts are offensive too.

But Whoa Nellie is also a very funny game (re: stupid humour) - the game literally brings a smile to my face every time I play it. When I drain the ball without getting a single touch on it, and it says 'I betcha madder than a mule chewin on bumble bees aintcha', that makes me laugh. It's also artistically beautiful in both a creative sense and a technical sense. Yes it misses on some fronts with objectification clearly, but it also succeeds in other areas. It's also a really fun game to play.

Anyway, with that in mind. AC/DC Luci is what I would describe as in the 'bad taste' category. It feels unnecessary, but I also think it kind of brings what the game and band is out to the fore, and slaps you in the face with it. Personally, I find some of the lyrics ("lock up your daughter. Lock up your wife. Lock up your back door. And run for your life. The man is back in town"), and some of the animations (pop bumpers where a train of women are walking in one side of a car, the car is bumping up and down, and women walk out the other side pulling down their skirts) as much more offensive than the art package of Luci. I would think if you are particularly offended with the Luci edition of the machine (and you are certainly within your rights to do so), then perhaps you should take a longer look at the game itself because I think what it does in game is much more egregious.

So if I were to buy an AC/DC pinball machine, it'd be this Luci edition. Why? Because it is a better art package compared to the original, and I don't think it's as offensive as what happens in the game. And ultimately that's one of the main reasons I'd not really consider buying one at all!
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
I think you make a fair and well argued point.

On the surface it does appear incongruent to be allied with values of equality and also be okay with this sexualised artwork.

But I think that being able to accept that incongruence shows a deeper understanding of what it is to be human. Our existence is not so easliy understood that it can be explained with simple logic.
Sometimes we can feel a particular way about something in one domain and differently in others. Or differently at different times. Does it make you bad or wrong..? again it's impossible to say.

Perhaps this is getting to existential for a gaming forum lol.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0