bakersnarkMDW Show full post »
Mar
That's some pretty massive average scores. Great play for sure.

If that were a spreadsheet of my play on TWD, it'd mostly consist of 4million point games and a couple 100+ games. And that's not me being self deprecating, that's just honestly my history with that game.

Though that might change once I have it in my garage...
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Hwaygo wrote:
If you had one more data. Minutes played.. you could work out your cost to time played ratio.

If you win enough prizes at comps, you need this info to claim expenses against tax! 😉
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
(So Marc realised he posted something on the wrong thread [to which this is the reply] and moved it to the right thread leaving this responnse orphaned nonsense [bloody Admins! 😉] - it’s now here: https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/podcast-episode-15-best-master-system-game-nominations-deadpool-pinball-and-more-9819840?pid=1305212501&random=45266 )

On my phone it’s not at all clear that there IS a scroll right! (Must be some of that great site design you mentioned)
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
nich2pat

Hwaygo wrote:

I can't believe you actually collect all this data Pat. I've thought about it.. but the urge to press start again stops me from writing stuff down.

Haha yeah I just started doing this for locations I play at regularly. That being during my lunch breaks at work (ACDC Premium) and the local pub (Iron Maiden Premium). Just had my 85th game on ACDC in the last 40 days. I thought I would be able to see some kind of progression or getting better but I seem to be getting worse 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 2.35.07 pm.png 
Minutes played would be an interesting one. In the beginning I was getting a lot of replays because the score needed for a free game was so low. The replay score on Walking Dead when it was there was 150,000,000 - you also needed to get 25 walker kills for an extra ball. When ACDC first arrived the replay value was quite low and easily achievable. Now after playing it for a month its up to 75,000,000 for a replay. 

Its easy just to take a photo of your score or put a few notes down in your phone before you started another game. I like looking at the statistics. Probably inherited that from my dad. He has written down every shot he has played at golf for the past 40 years. He has played at the same golf course the whole time so he has books of statistics with "Drive on fairway" "On in Regulation" "Putts" and even what the weather was like on that day. Cumulative totals for pars, birdies and eagles... He just needs to get that data into excel 🙂

Quote 2 0
Mar
I think that's really cool. And also shows me where you got your penchant for detail from in relation to organising trips!

I used to keep a lot of stats for games that I played. I've still got the exercise books filled with scores and records but I stopped keeping track more than a few decades ago... I've actually thought about reviving the habit now that I'm getting involved in the Twin Galaxies stuff.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
On Thursday I made an interestingly unusual boardgame pickup from Games Paradise in the city, who currently have a bunch of games at 70% off.
60516D36-724B-4033-9F81-FF4C811F5D08.jpeg 

It’s called simply “504” and I’ll try to explain why it’s an odd choice for me but can ultimately be defended at at least one level due to its heavy discount.

Anybody who’s heard me talk at length about boardgames will have probably heard me on the topic of modern games (particularly “Euros”) and how there are way too many of them out there diluting and devaluing gameplay. Kickstarter is at the heart of this, with more development effort often put in to the Kickstarter campaign than the game - eye candy and backer level rewards being key to snagging the funds.
(EDIT: I should clarify that I certainly don’t dislike all Euro games and very much like a few, but there are many in the space that could be done without)

There still needs to be a game at the heart of it that sounds of some interest to the Euro game collector in order to justify the bags of money being thrown at it. So how can people produce so many things that sound like a playable (& maybe interesting) game to float so many KS campaigns? Basically there is a core set of Euro game mechanics that keep cropping up in various permutations in game after game. So when it’s time to launch your next game just pick your stupid theme that both sounds exciting and lends itself to pretty components (like the day-to-day operation of the Panama Canal, or photosynthesis in plants, or civil engineering in some obscure [or not] city), then grab a handful of standard mechanics and smoosh them together into a clump that’s hopefully sufficiently different to the competing clumps to attract the dough.

Many burning their hard-earned on these products would like to deny this process, but with 504 we have a game made by someone inside this process that essentially acknowledges the reality by putting it all in a big box!
9A877165-FE8B-424E-8340-3DC739FF266A.jpeg 
Wacky designer Friedemann Friese clutching his big box!
D0D6A370-9C24-4C06-9CC2-8DE4972C231E.jpeg 

504 presents rules for nine core modules:
Module 1: Pick-Up & Deliver
Module 2: Race
Module 3: Privileges
Module 4: Military
Module 5: Exploration
Module 6: Roads
Module 7: Majorities
Module 8: Production
Module 9: Shares
In each single game, you take three different modules from the nine available and assemble them in any order you like to create a new game. (504 = 9 * 8 * 7 = the number of distinct permutations of three items from a set of nine. The order of the three game modules is significant, and modules cannot be repeated.) So theoretically there are 504 ‘distinct’ games in this box.

Video explanation:

Playability of different combinations will vary greatly and there may be very few that work well, but I like the concept and the fact I own some concrete evidence for my derisive theory of Kickstarter game design.😁
Some might say I’ve bought a big box of games I don’t really like but I like to think it gives my collection some coverage and versatility in an area I don’t want to sink a lot of money and shelf-space into. If I run across a keen Euro player who wants to play a particular game (or type of game) I can potentially cover it in some form without owning every stupid individual game - “that sounds like THIS combination of rules’”

All that aside, for $36 I got a metric shit-ton of generic game components that could be used for anything!
3EF2CF3B-F562-4FDB-9F5A-CF3C04B045C7.jpeg 
{Maybe a custom version of Cones of Dunshire (I’ll get the cones from Dominant Species)}

Also of interest at Games Paradise I spotted this in front of the counter:
CF8CAAED-D435-436B-9269-AFD28C3CC000.jpeg 
MULE the Boardgame at 70% off! That’s a mere $36 beearches!
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
I’m going to start to get a rep. I popped back in to Games Paradise and MANY of their 70% off games had gone, including one of the MULES. I panicked and now own a second copy 😲
Just like Star Trek: Attack Wing Starter Kit, I was worried it would  be the last one I ever saw so got a reserve  copy.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0