Mar
People who don't frequent the speed run community or watch Games Done Quick probably aren't too aware of the popularity of Super Monkey Ball. It's been a high skill game for quite some time with all sorts of amazing tricks and timed runs.

Recently, Australia's own Super Monkey Ball speedrunner (who has been overseas to run the game in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers at Games Done Quick, and also runs the game at PAX Australia) broke his timed record of running the game on Expert, and through to the Master stages. The video is impressive to watch:

I know the game quite well, and finished the Master stages. Doing that is probably one of the hardest things I've done in gaming.

On the topic, you can check out some of the coolest Super Monkey Ball stunts in this video I uploaded over 10 years ago:

Quote 0 0
thrax
Adding to watch later playlist... I'm a huge speedrun fan including the insane game mechanics analysis around them.
Quote 0 0
Mar
Your post prompted me to watch the Super Monkey Ball Stunts videos again and... Wow. I'd actually forgotten how insane they were. I've been watching real time speedruns for years and so the 'die a thousand times trying to do one thing right' recordings in that stunts video made my jaw hit the ground.
Quote 0 0
thrax
It's not actually a speedrun, but you might appreciate the level of commitment to figure this one out [wink] Watch this vid, it's long but absolutely mindblowing... the 'alternate realities' bit got me.

Quote 0 0
BSS
And to further hijack this thread, everyone should watch the Summoning Salt World Record Progression series:
Quote 0 0
Mar
thrax wrote:
It's not actually a speedrun, but you might appreciate the level of commitment to figure this one out [wink] Watch this vid, it's long but absolutely mindblowing... the 'alternate realities' bit got me.

Bloody hell, that was some seriously crazy stuff. Absolutely loved it though - I'm fascinated by games getting completely ripped apart via gameplay. Building up speed for 12 hours... Amazing.
Quote 1 0
Mar
BSS wrote:
And to further hijack this thread, everyone should watch the Summoning Salt World Record Progression series:

That was awesome to watch too. I've added this channel to my regular viewing now... A never ending supply of great videos to watch - I've still got 3 months worth of Games Done Quick to catch up on!
Quote 0 0