Hwaygo
We talked about this on the podcast. Both me and Matt don't have a current gen console and the reason is because there hasn't been any games that looked exciting enough to actually warrant buying a new console.
The second reason (at least for me) is that many modern games seem to require huge amount of time to finish compared to classic games. I think this highlights a switch from arcade style games to home experience style games.
I should make it clear that because I work full time and study I don't have a lot of spare time and that's a big factor that stops me getting into some games.

I decided to investigate to find out if there are any or many games worth playing. Well the Metal Jesus made it easy for me.
I love this youtube channel. Yes, hes cheesy. yes hes a typical dad. But the content is great, and you can see he really loves games. He also seems like a really delightful guy and I'd love to meet him one day.

Games mentioned:
(note. for the sake of the argument I'm assuming these games are all fun and worth buying)

The Witcher 3 - PS4
Exclusive: No, also on PC
Time required: S@#t loads!
Would I buy a PS4 for it?
No. I'd prefer to play it on PC. But its also a game I'd need more free time to get into.

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
Exclusive: Yes
Time required: People are saying between 40 - 80 hours.
I think if I did, it would be for this game. Looks right down by alley. Still, with this time requirement it would take me months to finish, and theres a good chance something else will distract me before I do.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch / WiiU
Exclusive: Yes
Time required: From what I've heard this game takes as long as you want because there is so much optional content. I could easily get to the end of it, but it is one I'd like to take some time with.
Would I buy a Switch for it?
I'm feeling a little more inclined towards the switch at this stage. I also really love Splatoon, which is a game you can jump in and out of. Leaning towards Yes to Switch!

Wolfenstein The new order - PS4
Time required: Looks like roughly 10 hours.
No. I'd play it on PC. Its a first person shooter... geez. Perhaps I will keep my eye out on steam sales.

Dragon Age Inquisition - PS4
Time required: S@#t loads!
No. I'd play it on PC. Another game that looks great and I'd love to play, but I need to dedicate some time to it and that just isn't going to happen till at least  the end of 2018.

Trials Fusion - PS4
Time required: Jump in jump out
No. I'd play it on PC. Lots of people seem to love this game. I'm not sure its so great. Trials took this idea from an old PC game. I played a lot of the old version on PC (cant remember what it was called).

Until Dawn - PS4
Exclusive: Yes.
Time required: 12 hours
No. I do like these kinds of games but I've already watched a play though on youtube.

Life is Strange - PS4
Exclusive: No, its on PC.
Time required: 12 hours
No. Also watched this on youtube.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch /WiiU
Exclusive: Yes.
Time required: Jump in jump out
Would I buy a Switch for it?
Another reason to buy a switch. At first I thought you really need to play with friends to be fun. But no, I think I would also enjoy this on my own. And probably one my wife would play with me. Would buy, would play.

Velocity 2x - PS4
Time required: Short
Would I buy a Ps4 for it?
Nah, I'd play it on PC.

HD Remakes
Bioshock
Dishonored
Skyrim
Resident Evil 4

Time required: Varies, but mostly long. Although it doesn't matter so much because we've played them already.

"Would you replay these?" Yes. If I found myself with some time.

Conclusion
It seems like the Switch does offer more quality jump in jump out games which might make it the system for me. No doubt I'll one day have them all, but for now the Switch looks the way.

I'd love to jump into games of Splatoon and Mariokart. I'd definitely get Zelda but I'll probably take ages to finish it haha.

Gotta start looking at Switch prices.
P.S. When I started writing this post I didn't think I'd convince myself to get a Switch! How about that!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
Reminds me I need to play Dragon Age Inquisition at some stage. It’s been in the shrink wrap since I got a PS4 a year ago!

Always wanted to play it, but the thought of how much time I’d have to invest always puts me off popping it in...
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Mar wrote:
Reminds me I need to play Dragon Age Inquisition at some stage. It’s been in the shrink wrap since I got a PS4 a year ago!

Always wanted to play it, but the thought of how much time I’d have to invest always puts me off popping it in...

Yep. I know that feeling! 
Even just thinking about the time it takes to get from the start menu to actually playing is enough to put me off!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
thrax
If you want some more jump in jump out games (Switch specifically) including some party play titles, check out Golf Story, Death Squared, and Super One More Jump.

All solid titles, Golf Story being a fun RPG and ther other two being awesome couch co-op games.
Quote 1 0
Sanvy
Kirby on Switch -- short but lots of fun.
Bayonetta on Switch (both -- for those that missed it)
Tiny Barbarian DX
Azure Striker Gunvolt

PS4
Wild Guns Reloaded
Horizon Zero Dawn

X1/PS4
Battle Chasers Nightwar
Arkham Knight
Sine Mora

There are heaps out there. 😉
Quote 1 0
Mar
Sanvy wrote:
Kirby on Switch -- short but lots of fun.
Bayonetta on Switch (both -- for those that missed it)
Tiny Barbarian DX
Azure Striker Gunvolt

PS4
Wild Guns Reloaded
Horizon Zero Dawn

X1/PS4
Battle Chasers Nightwar
Arkham Knight
Sine Mora

There are heaps out there. 😉

Welcome to the forum Sanvy!

I'd definitely vouch for Bayonetta - love that game. I may have to pick up a Switch just for Bayonetta 3 when it comes out.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Yea I'll definitely give bayonetta a go. I think it's $19.99 on the digital store.
I've never really enjoyed spectical fighters but the fact that it has old Sega music has pequed my interest!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Sanvy
Mar wrote:

Welcome to the forum Sanvy!

I'd definitely vouch for Bayonetta - love that game. I may have to pick up a Switch just for Bayonetta 3 when it comes out.

Thanks for the warm welcome 😃

I have a copy of the special ed coming from Japan (just cause I dont like digital stuff), but yeah Bayo is one of the classics.  Im watching the PS GoW play through:
This looks the business too.
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
I do really wanna play horizon zero dawn.. but that the only ps4 game I'm finding myself interested in atm.

I've never actually played a god of war game. I think part of the reason is that I never owned a PS2, until a few months ago haha.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Sanvy
FYI Velocity 2X, Matterfall and a whole bunch of shmups are $10 @EBGames presently. HZD is worth playing, but in the scope of things Mario (Odyssey), Zelda, and a heap of other titles should be given more priority [wink]

GoW is fun, lets see how the next gen GoW fares.
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
oh Mario.. geez forgot about that one..

faaaaaaaa... I have too many games to play. Zelda will take priority really... as you say it should
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Well I hope none of those are preowned because John won’t have a bar of it!
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Looking forward to your thoughts on BoTW John.
Quote 0 0
Sanvy
Im going to Bayo 1 & 2 this weekend on switch. Probably play some MK8 also... Do you guys share XB1/PSN/Switch IDs to compete etc?
Quote 0 0
Mar
Sanvy wrote:
Im going to Bayo 1 & 2 this weekend on switch. Probably play some MK8 also... Do you guys share XB1/PSN/Switch IDs to compete etc?

Did you get to play some Bayonetta? What were your thoughts?

I don't play online these days, but feel free to add me if you like:

XB: Mar 360x
PSN: C27-Mar
Quote 0 0