Mar
We interview Jimmy Nails, co-owner of the amazing Netherworld Bar Arcade in BrisbaneMarc provides an in depth rundown of the 2018 Brisbane Pinball MastersJohn's been playing Sonic Mania Plus on the Switch. And we all eat (and presumably survive) 30 year old Donkey Kong bubble gum!

Ep14.jpg 

Sonic Mania Plus (2018)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Mania

River Raid TE project

http://gamethesystem.co/forum?p=%3Fforum%3D645294

Stellar Conflict (2015)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/179835/stellar-conflict

Brisbane Pinball Masters 2018

http://www.ausretrogamer.com/2018-brisbane-pinball-masters/

Netherworld Bar Arcade

https://www.netherworldarcade.com/

Quote 0 0
nich2pat

I think we can blame the cafe that forgot your Rueben on Saturday morning for your Brisbane Masters performance Marc. 

Also I liked John's comment about you not liking flip frenzies "we all know you have weird taste" - Cherry Ripe? COME ON!

Quote 2 0
bakersnarkMDW
Just to expand a little on Stellar Conflict. This is what the laser line sighting was like:
61B7C376-1F2E-48D3-BE26-50BDD6324B87.jpeg 
At the risk of no one following links, here is where I first described the game as a June pickup on the forum (after Circus Flohcati):
https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/pickups-june-week-1-2018-9756902?pid=1304445101&random=998
This includes a YouTube demo/review.

Here is is my description of the playing mentioned in the podcast:
https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/tabletop-games-board-card-roleplaying-9641893?pid=1304944479&random=59406

Note: there was one rule we (I) misapplied which MAY have altered the outcome - any of your own ships you kill are meant to subtract from your victory points rather than just be ignored (I think John killed a few of his own).

It would be great to give this another spin with people being a bit more familiar with it - the lightning deployment would work better with background knowledge, not just rules but the fleets. Even when there are multiple copies of the same class of ship available, they are all unique with different areas shielded and the lasers firing at different angles. It’s a game that can be tweaked in many ways - table size & player numbers need to be adjusted for. Fleet size can be changed by changing spend points and deployment time can also be lengthened or shortened. The game is a reimplementation of a 2003 game called Light Speed, and it had no set time limit on deployment - the first person to deploy their last ship yelled STOP and that was it! You played with what was on the table.

I’ve attached a copy of the rules.
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 2 0
Hwaygo
nich2pat wrote:

I think we can blame the cafe that forgot your Rueben on Saturday morning for your Brisbane Masters performance Marc. 

Also I liked John's comment about you not liking flip frenzies "we all know you have weird taste" - Cherry Ripe? COME ON!

hahaha. Marc's weird taste have become a podcast theme as we seem to discover one almost every episode! lol 😋
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo

Note: there was one rule we (I) misapplied which MAY have altered the outcome - any of your own ships you kill are meant to subtract from your victory points rather than just be ignored (I think John killed a few of his own).

Don't try to take my win away from me! 😋 haha

I actually think it wouldn't have changed anything because as I recall Matt had 11 points and I had 12 and he did the most self destruction out of us all. Additionally, my ships were worth only a small amount of points.

I believe had the rule been in effect as intended it would have only served to further cement my GLORIOUS victory!! 😃
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Hwaygo wrote:

Additionally, my ships were worth only a small amount of points.

This is where familiarity with the fleets and their racial abilities is important to make useful snap decisions in the frantic Deployment phase. You were the Tetrakori who had 3 scout ships appropriately called Ghosts which had no cost to include in your fleet giving you a natural numerical advantage. The interesting thing about them was that not only were they free to use, they were also worth no victory points! This made them perfect cannon fodder - you could place them in the line of fire and when destroyed there was no victory point cost +ve or -ve. They only have a weak 1 point laser but with an initiative of 1 they will always get to fire it.

As you noted in the podcast, there are some individual ships that have their own special power - your flagship having shields that reflect laser damage back to its source, which could be devastating with careful placement! You also had a battleship that fired just before others of its initiative (so could destroy them before they fired) and another that reactivated one of your fighters for an extra shot.

Matt’s Vak had the orange shield penetrating lasers - only 1 point damage but ignore shield (including your reflectors I would assume). He also had a couple of quite interesting specials on a similar theme - a battleship that could harmlessly shoot through his own ships to hit an enemy beyond, and his flagship could damage 2 ships in a row (I guess it was destroyed before firing because I don't remember resolving that one).

My Wiss had the blue Ion lasers, which did no damage but delayed any ship hit by 2 initiative points. I had some hopes to at least cause a nuisance with them but hit absolutely nothing! My specials were dull-sounding but potentially quite useful with some careful placement. 3 ships each with a laser immunity - one each against each type of standard laser, Purple, Red, & Green.

Marc’s Hexai simply had several ships that fired more than once (at 2 different initiatives). Available to more than half his fleet it must have been deemed powerful enough to not need any special powers.

For a quick light looking game, it does seem to have a bit of depth built in to it. I’ll try to scan the fleets so people can have the option of some forward planning if we have another go at it.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Thanks to Mark who yesterday pointed out that the title of this post seems to suggest we eat 30 year old donkey... That puts a different perspective on things! I'll have to watch that character limit on posts from now on...
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
Thanks to Mark who yesterday pointed out that the title of this post seems to suggest we eat 30 year old donkey... That puts a different perspective on things! I'll have to watch that character limit on posts from now on...

”seems to suggest” in that it literally says it! 😲
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW

You also had a battleship ... that reactivated one of your fighters for an extra shot.

On further reflection, this is potentially a very powerful capability. If by initiative 8 (when this battleship activates) you still have several fighters on the table you can choose to fire one that you can see will hit an enemy ship (much more control than is usual in this game). Considering you have 9 fighters that each only cost 1 to field, it shouldn’t be too difficult to ensure a reasonable choice at that point. With 3 of those fighters being the EL-1, which has a half-side shield, 2 hull points and is armed with a green 3 damage laser, it could make all the difference!

Matt’s Vak ... flagship could damage 2 ships in a row

This one, on the other hand, is a devastating wild-card! You’ve not only got to be careful where the first laser strike goes but what is behind that target. If by initiative 14 all its primary targets have already been destroyed, it could potentially wipe out your own fleet! One of the lasers is even an orange shield penetrator - nowhere to hide...
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Nice summary of each of the ship/race abilities. Perhaps the real reason I won was that my races abilities suited the situation being one of less planning on all sides. (hope that makes sense).
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
As an interesting connection to John’s description of the square ship cards as being like drink coasters, here are both sides of the Chimera / Secret Base drink coaster promo given away at Origins 2016 to promote Stellar Conflict!
A121C8F1-6F7B-4E0D-BAB7-6B94F3B9CF88.png 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
At the risk of making this about something other than Stellar Conflict 😉, a little addendum to the 30 year old donkey...
Scanlans was the company in Australia who did most bubblegum cards back in the day, though I believe a lot were under license from Topps. As far as whether cards are still issued, I know there were football cards in 2008 at least as I collected some with my son - these were from the ‘Select’ company. No bubblegum was in the pack, and no doubt it had long ago become impractical to combine cards and ‘foodstuff’ due to health regulations (similar regulations may have just outlawed the gum itself!).
I’ve never confirmed it but assume that stickers would become inherently more rare than straight cards due to many being ‘consumed’ by being stuck on things. On that flimsy excuse I’ll show some stickers I have in my modest collection, sporting a Topps copyright of 1974/75 (Although I rarely consumed the stickers, all my packs were opened and the bubblegum consumed at the time).
C6F0CC85-2B32-4409-83C5-1877A0F8F4C2.jpeg  72CD0445-E313-4B83-864C-E24B3113CC69.jpeg  7F8BAD97-60A2-4E48-9FB7-C4A9422EDF5A.jpeg  2E9CD7B8-98A6-4614-A42E-43655D06EF1B.jpeg 
Obviously Topps would tenaciously enforce their copyright over these witticisms produced by the combined literary power of 70s comics and bubblegum. (My new avatar is from a 70s motorcycle card collection I have.)
’Nuff Said!
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Impressive. I'd love to see your entire card (stickers etc) collection sometime.

Some of those quotes are hilarious. I especially like the last one though "These pants don't fit". Odd, and humorous.

I've collected a bunch of cards on occasion. For instance I had the full set of Transformers cards (original release ones), and the full set of Disney cards and album, including all the 'rare' ones like gold, prism, etc. I've sold them all since though. The only cards I have left are the ones I didn't think anyone would want to buy. Such as boxed sets (as in still in the box) of both the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon and movie, and some Toxic Crusaders (I think that's what they're called?) cards and albums.

I've gone in and out of hobbies in my time, but since reaching the ripe old age of [current age], I've realised the one mainstay is games. So I'm comfortable with just collecting and associating myself with those now.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
As I’ve mentioned a few times before in fragments of the conversation that never quite makes the podcast (& I think is hinted at again on the latest podcast), these types of collections (items designed to be collected) I have retained from my youth. I would never get rid of them but have no desire to add to them (if I did add at all, the new items would be kept distinct from the old).

I find it odd that Thing (1) is the only character getting to say his own catchphrase - many of the others are corporate slogans of the time.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0