Mar
We are recording tomorrow night, so if anyone has any questions for Marc, John or Matt, or has any general feedback or comments, leave them here!

IMG_0709.jpg 
Quote 0 0
MUD
Is that yours?
No alphabetical order??
Quote 1 0
Mar
MUD wrote:
Is that yours?
No alphabetical order??

It's 'the stack' as so gloriously discussed last podcast. There's a reason I don't pull those games off the shelf very often...
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
I never had the chance to have my special time with your boxed Sega Saturn.... [frown] 
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
I was going to suggest that you need to start talking about collections and collecting but on reviewing the last half hour of pod7, I guess you did talk a fair bit about it. However, on further reflection, I think there is more to be said with a bit more focus on some particular points. I think most people connected with Game The System have a collection or collections of some sort (Matt [BSS] perhaps being an exception as I think he’s mentioned he makes a little bit of an effort to avoid collecting), but how have those collections come about? Have they organically grown through acquisition of items (let’s assume games of some sort) that you desired for their original purpose (playing) or is it for collectable reasons (rarity, completing a set, provenance...)? Maybe it started as the first and became the second, but I detect a fair bit of pure collecting in the group. In the last podcast, recorded in the shadow of the collection we see pictured in part at the top of this thread, John gave his opinion on how collections should be curated and displayed, and what was the reason for Marc’s second C64 Mini again...? ;-)

Perhaps the main distinction to be made is between Enthusiast (Game or otherwise) and Collector. The latter produces an actual collection which is formed by the relationship between the items in the collection and leads to (at least some) items being acquired not for their individual desirability but how they fit the collection as a whole - rarity, completing a group/sequence, flaw in manufacture, famously terrible and therefore undesired and therefore rare and therefore desirable, “I haven’t got the green one” ...
The Enthusiast on the other hand creates something that looks like a collection but is more an accumulation or concentration of like objects (same type of thing) but formed by acquiring each item because of a desire for it in it’s own right. There’s no real need to curate or display it, it’s value is in the use of it’s parts. Take my tabletop games (board, card, etc) - it exists mostly for the potential playing of each game. The games aren’t displayed, they’re scattered around the house making most efficient use of shelf space and many are in bags to be easily carried out the door for play at short notice (bear that in mind guys). The only place they exist as a ‘displayed’ collection is online in my Boardgame Geek account to allow others to browse and perhaps request a game (bear that in mind guys).

The two types aren’t mutually exclusive and one can lead to the other (most likely Enthusiast -> Collector). Who is mostly what and why (I think the answer has been hinted at). I think I’m mostly enthusiast and will try to follow this post with some more personal examples but as the clock ticks on podcast start, this will hopefully get the ball rolling.
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 2 0
bakersnarkMDW
More on my groups of like objects.
Most things I have that could be truly called a collection are things retained from my youth. I collected some of the plastic toys from cereal boxes and managed one complete collection - the Astronits, which I still have.
78A2B5C5-D30B-4D28-AA04-6C0FE75ED2A6.jpeg  769EBD11-C6B0-4D0A-86CE-9A68BA6767E5.jpeg  8B8E0BCF-EE01-4319-921E-D1A342BF2B79.jpeg  037DBFD5-2DBB-4793-BB81-E41C7C173506.jpeg 

I also collected many Scanlen bubblegum cards. I collected Rugby League cards (it wasn’t the NRL then) from 1974 to 1978 (I think), finishing with a complete 1978 set. Collected a bunch of other cards like Planet of the Apes TV series and several sticker series including a Marvel Comic character series. Two other complete series I have are a 66 Card motorcycle set, and a 72 Card set from 1977 of Star Wars!
E362A5E2-C877-4244-B37F-A0FA76A74FB2.jpeg 

I still have all of the above and it’s important to me that they’re the actual items I collected. If I lost them I might get a few replacements as a reminder but wouldn’t care to replace the lot. I also have no desire to add to the collections as they stand.

I have quite a large accumulation of vinyl records (about 1000 albums) but they were all bought to have the music, not to make a collection. I haven’t added to it for a long time (apart from Bowie’s Black Star) but it’s not going anywhere.

As I said in the previous post my tabletop games are largely a functional accumulation, but there a couple of small nods to collecting. A couple of months back I got a Mah Jong set for $10 from a local Op-Shop. I’ve no great desire to play the game but find the tiles fascinating and it seemed a glaring gap in my game ‘collection’. A few years back I thought of adding Risk to fill another gap as they had released an anniversary retro set with wooden pieces, but I passed. I also have more chess sets than I really need, but can be enticed to add a different form to playing the same classic game - some are regional sets (Chinese, Japanese) which are really different, though related, games.
The one game area where I really sort of collect is decks of playing cards. I don’t spend a lot of money on them (usually opportunity buys at the opportunity shop), but have a bunch of unusual decks that I would rarely put any wear on through play (easy to get decks to play with). It’s not got a terribly focussed format to it and is probably a bit like a snow globe collection - just a bunch curiosities sharing the same basic form.
39BB38CA-1AF9-44E2-AEA4-A9C473696285.jpeg 

Notables are the decks towards the bottom. There’s a deck done by the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery for a religious exhibition, which is a standard deck but has special symbols for the suits and the court cards are Deakin, Priest and Bishop. The bottom two are Tarot decks - the left one being the Aquarian Tarot divination deck (as most people think of Tarot) and the right is another OpShop acquisition, a Tarot deck as originally intended for playing games. It has the standard 4 suits with one extra court card, the Cavalier (it has the French letter designations R D C V) plus a trump suit of 21 ‘boats’. In the middle is the Major Arcana #13 Death next to its playing equivalent of the 13 of Boats.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
These are fantastic posts Mark, and a subject that I'm keenly interested in. I find it fascinating what people collect as all of us have unique tastes, and also what story(stories?) that can tell about the individual.

We did have a mull over your posts before we started the cast, but quickly realised this requires more than just a glance over, and a decent conversation. I'm going to pop this into our internal show notes as a topic to discuss in detail in the future. As you mentioned, we touched on it in episode 7 but the points you raise above make me want to delve much deeper as again, it fascinates me.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:

These are fantastic posts Mark, and a subject that I'm keenly interested in. I find it fascinating what people collect as all of us have unique tastes, and also what story(stories?) that can tell about the individual.

Something I forgot to mention in my mammoth post above but might have a story of some interest:

In amongst my bubble gum card collection is a complete set of 12(?) Australian Native Bird cards found in White Wings baking products in 1963/4. Though I never confirmed it, I have to assume they were collected by my mother while she was pregnant with me. I have no recollection of when they joined my collection - forgotten by the thoughtless child I no doubt was at the time, but they were kept safe along with the rest. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Yes. Excellent discussion Mark! I'm looking forward to talking about it some more on the pod for EP9!

I am developing a few collections.. and after reading your post I can certainly identify some of the characteristics of collecting that you've mentioned.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0