Mar Show full post »
bakersnarkMDW
As I said, I’ve listened to 2 but not yet finished dealing with 1:

Chime-in 3:
The very pressing matter of a Mediterranean US President in CnC: Red Alert
I’ve already largely covered this with John directly but it’s just too important a topic to leave at that! The result of all this will probably just be to expose my ignorance of the games themselves.

It all kicked off because the Mediterranean-looking Ray Wise (who, apart from Twin Peaks & Robocop, I loved as the devil in Reaper) plays the US president in Red Alert 2, leading to the alternate-timeline-vs-real-timeline-shattering question of whether there had ever been such a president and, I guess, is this meant to represent him? (Note that Mr Wise’s Mediterranean look is presumably from his Romanian heritage - not actually on the Med but it has a small coastline on the Black Sea which connects to the Med via the Aegean with which it swaps fluids so... OK).

Firstly, there are no actual presidents I know of that fill the bill, but there are a couple of couldabeens that might slip into an alternate timeline. I believe that Red Alert 2 kicks off in 1972 and one of the CnC wikis lazily suggests he’s probably Nixon, who was POTUS at the time. The couldabeen right at that time was the Greek/American VP Spiro Agnew.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiro_Agnew?wprov=sfti1
If he hadn’t been caught on corruption and forced to resign, he could have replaced Nixon when HE resigned over Watergate rather than Gerald Ford. Generally seen as a little lacking in intellect, on Futurama he was sometimes shown accompanying Nixon’s head, but as a headless body which could be used to transport Nixon as required.

Speaking of Gerald Ford, despite no Mediterranean connections, he had a famously swarthy appearance due to his love of outdoor activities particularly golf. In fact in the Pulitzer Prize-winning comic strip Doonesbury (from where I’ve gleaned most of my modern US political history), during the slacker character Zonker Harris’ career as a professional sun-tanner he competes in the 1980 Gerald R Ford Summer Biathlon. Points are accrued based on the tonal difference between your starting and finishing tans plus your golf score. Ford actually had an invitational golf tournament named after and hosted by him for a couple of decades. Possible...?
(There was an early Simpson’s that had George Bush Snr move in next door and, after a Dennis the Menace parody, Bush was replaced by Ford & there were some parallels drawn between Homer and Ford, which were a bit unfair as Ford [despite being known for athletics] came out in the top 25% of his Law degree at Yale.)

If the Red Alert alternate timeline passes through the late eighties (which I don’t think it does but it’s timeline can be very alternate!), here’s your other couldabeen Mediterranean US President:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dukakis?wprov=sfti1
Losing Democratic candidate to George Bush Snr after Reagan’s second term:
Does
Michael Dugan =
Michael Dukakis ?
You do the maths.
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
That's a deep dive into possible Red Alert presidential candidates and make no mistake! I think either way, we can be sure any of them would be better than the current situation... (trying really hard not to get political...).
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
The Red Alert alternate history wasn't that bleak - it only had World War 3, not Trump!
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0