Mar
If you happen to have a lazy 9 hours to spare, then you can perhaps enjoy* my marathon game of Ghouls n Ghosts played last week. Yes, I really did take a week off work to try and beat the (now previous) world record, and managed to achieve that on the second attempt. The first attempt only went for 3 hours...

I'm still sore in my arms, chest (I guess I play hunched over?), and shoulders, one week on. I have a new appreciation for people who marathon games. While some games that can be 'marathoned' can go 40 hours plus, I think the thing that makes this measly 9 hours particularly tough is the level of concentration needed, and the constant mashing of buttons. A lot of other marathon games are pretty sedate (Nibbler for instance).

Here's the submission page on Twin Galaxies. It might take months for this to get verified, as people would be a little unwilling to put their name down as vetting a video that goes for as long as this does, without actually watching it all. Completely understandable!

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/193241-Arcade-Ghouls-n-Ghosts-World-Points-Marathon-Settings-2-415-700-Marc-Bell
Quote 1 0
nich2pat

Funnily enough I did start watching this on my lunch break at work the other day. Watched about half an hour and then skipped through to the end. Looked like the last level was played heaps and Marc confirmed this when I texted him asking about it. 

Also notice that if you see Marc in the reflection he looks like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad. 

If you play this like your pinball stance you would surely get a sore back!

Quote 1 0
Mar
Heh, thanks Pat!

By the way, if you haven't had enough of Ghouls'n Ghosts by now (like any sane person might have done...), I'm now speedrunning the game. It's taken a long time but I'm starting to put together some nice runs that aren't just death (and swearing) over and over again. Speedruns are a bit more entertaining too as they aren't played so conservative like my Twin Galaxies attempts;

Quote 0 0
nich2pat
So when you took the week off work in order to get the world record, but you did it on your 2nd attempt, did you go back to work early? 🙂
Quote 1 0
Mar
Hah! Certainly not! I relaxed for a few days and enjoyed the down time. A few celebratory beers were had...
Quote 0 0
Mar
Finally got a sub 20 minute run! Everything went pretty smooth besides one unintentional death;

Quote 0 0