bakersnarkMDW
An interesting little segment from the US Public Broadcaster PBS. If nothing else, check out the name of their Science correspondent who ends up telling us about 3D printing of rocket engines!
Another point of interest is where 3D print manufacture allows parts unable to be manufactured by other methods, which also allows parts designed entirely by computers which do stress analysis during the design leaving no stress hot-spots in the part. This results in organic ‘tree root like’ components which also provides some Sci Fi fans with retrospective rationale for organic-looking space ships a-la HR Geiger Alien designs (I guess).

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-3d-printing-is-spurring-revolutionary-advances-in-manufacturing-and-design
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
It seems very hard to get you guys to follow a link 😉

For those too lazy to check it out, the science reporter’s name is:

Miles O’Brien

(I found it mildly amusing).
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
I just suddenly made the link from what you were talking about with industrial 3D printing, and Miles O'Brien. It took me a while but I got there in the end!

I'm yet to even see a 3D printer in real life... I must way behind the times by now.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
I would have thought John would be all over this but maybe he didn’t see it, which might have me ask “what forum (is he) on? Obviously not in the most import section, the Off Topic section” 😉

DF8E4051-B9ED-473A-930C-C504D172AEEB.jpeg
Miles O’Brien is a veteran, independent journalist who focuses on science, technology and aerospace. He is the science correspondent for the PBS NewsHour, He previously worked for CNN as the science, environment and aerospace space correspondent. While at CNN, he secured a deal with NASA to become the first journalist to fly on the space shuttle. The project ended with the loss of Columbia and her crew in 2003.

D5EAD340-189B-4D5C-9F73-05BBA65D98F5.jpeg 
And this guy has some space connection too.

I haven’t seen much of 3D printing up close either. While I understand how low melting point materials (like plastics or chocolate) can be printed into decorative low stress objects, I still have trouble getting my head around stuff like in the segment I linked, where metals are printed into high spec, high stress engineering parts! When we really get the transporter of Star Trek it will just be 3D printed people.😃
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
bakersnarkMDW wrote:
I would have thought John would be all over this but maybe he didn’t see it, which might have me ask “what forum (is he) on? Obviously not in the most import section, the Off Topic section” 😉

HA! That actually made me laugh out loud!

So I mostly look at forum posts through email in cheeky seconds at work when I should be... working.
I did see it but in my cheeky seconds yea I pretty much don't follow links.. and then I just forgot about it.. And then when you mentioned miles obrien I was gonna post a picture of the Transporter Chief but that didn't happen either..
I thought about it... but thats as far as it went..

I guess it's just luck of the draw depending on when I catch things.. but I usually only jump on to the computer at home for forums stuff when im posting my own lengthy post on things other people aren't really interested in.. haha. 😃
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0