Hwaygo
Anyone have any idea what these things are really worth..
I know they are totally redundant but I just find them so cool..

LD.png 
I'd love to get myself some Prince music Laser Discs to play in my mancave. 😃
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
From one of my preferred sources of technological (& other) information, all you ever need to know about obsolete recording formats (Laserdisc in particular) in 4 1/2 parts:

I’ve provided all 5 links but when I played the first one in the iOS YouTube app it just rolled through them sequentially itself. Total playtime for all combined is approx 12min.
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Sorry for any confusion - moved to Off Topic. Unless we start talking (arguing) about Laser Disc games!

I like the idea around laser discs. Like vinyl, they look awesome and you have something with great art and so forth. The only issue is the cost I suppose. As mentioned, they can be expensive.

I had a completely sealed Dirty Harry on laser disc. It came from the personal collection of that famous movie reviewer guy on SBS who I can't remember the name of right now. Sadly it got destroyed by mould when I had it in storage...
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
Sorry for any confusion - moved to Off Topic. Unless we start talking (arguing) about Laser Disc games!

I like the idea around laser discs. Like vinyl, they look awesome and you have something with great art and so forth. The only issue is the cost I suppose. As mentioned, they can be expensive.

I had a completely sealed Dirty Harry on laser disc. It came from the personal collection of that famous movie reviewer guy on SBS who I can't remember the name of right now. Sadly it got destroyed by mould when I had it in storage...

How did it get destroyed by mould if “completely sealed”?
Was the reviewer David Stratton before he and Margaret Pomeranz moved to the ABC? 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Ahh yes, David Stratton. To be honest I can't recall if he was SBS or ABC or both. TV isn't my strong point. But yeah attended a market in Camden that had most of his collection of laser disc movies up for sale, and proceeds going to charity. I bought Dirty Harry because I love the movie, and again, the giant album like package looks awesome.

A sealed item won't protect against mould. In fact I think something sealed is more prone to mould? Because if moisture gets in (through breathing holes in the seal, or breaks in the seal) it has more trouble dissipating. But then, I'm making broad assumptions again...
Quote 0 0
DrCurlytek
Mar wrote:
Ahh yes, David Stratton. To be honest I can't recall if he was SBS or ABC or both. TV isn't my strong point. But yeah attended a market in Camden that had most of his collection of laser disc movies up for sale, and proceeds going to charity. I bought Dirty Harry because I love the movie, and again, the giant album like package looks awesome.

A sealed item won't protect against mould. In fact I think something sealed is more prone to mould? Because if moisture gets in (through breathing holes in the seal, or breaks in the seal) it has more trouble dissipating. But then, I'm making broad assumptions again...

Ah, David Stratton, he's a fun guy. Yeah, mould is definitely worse in a mostly sealed situation. I doubt any Laserdisc retail seals were entirely waterproof.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Ha! I love the sentiment of that episode! It very much reflects what I'm feeling about laser disc at the moment, what with the difficulty in getting my hands on one.

The discs themselves don't seem overly expensive with a fair variety around going for about 30ish dollars. Having said that, it is an amount of money to put into something that is totally redundant. Its only that its weird and different which makes me attracted to it... and possibly also the way my dad talked about laser discs when i was a kid. He always wanted one but they were too expensive.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Speaking of expensive players of redundant technology - many years back, maybe about 20, I read somewhere about a laser optical scanning player for vinyl records - images the contours of the track and converts them to sound. I think it was mainly aimed at archives (eg Libraries!) to play back rare recordings without any wear to the media, and cost about 30 grand US. I don’t think I confirmed any of these features but figured such a device could mount the disk vertically with access to both sides and be able spot track gaps, allowing you to select a play order or even randomise tracks. A cool concept and something that should be achievable at a much lower price now, but it would probably require running your music through an ADC which kinda defeats one of the points of owning vinyl. Also I would NEVER randomise a well constructed album!
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
So I found a player on gumtree for $60 and decided to grab it. Unfortunately it only plays NTSC and Composit out but still pretty excited.

The player arrived last week. I didn't have and LDs to test it but CDs worked fine. 

Today my first Laserdisc arrived.

20180312_184900.jpg 
I'm a big prince fan and so this is always high on my list. It also feels way less redundant getting a music title because the audio quality is upto par with today's standards.

I also feel like I'm technically not yet starting a new "collection" because this disc can be classified as being a part of my Prince collection.

..but let's not kid ourselves.. there surely are more LDs on the way.

20180312_201621.jpg 

Popped a CD on top for scale.

20180312_201426.jpg 
The picture is a bit surreal to look at. It's not really high def but looks very digital. This movie of course is probably not the best example of picture quality because it was recorded in the 80s and never had great picture quality in the first place. Will be interesting to see some later movies for picture quality.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
Love those giant discs. Shame there was never an LD video game console - those discs would be awesome to collect.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Mar wrote:
Love those giant discs. Shame there was never an LD video game console - those discs would be awesome to collect.

ahhh...

[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Hwaygo wrote:
The picture is a bit surreal to look at. It's not really high def but looks very digital. This movie of course is probably not the best example of picture quality because it was recorded in the 80s and never had great picture quality in the first place. Will be interesting to see some later movies for picture quality.

At the risk of being the wet blanket I so often am, BUT...

The video on a Laserdisc is (dum dum DUM...) not actually digital! It is in fact a high quality analogue video, equivalent to a professional standard 1" VTR recording encoded as (OMG) a Composite video signal! Early on even the audio was analogue, but CD level 44.1k digital audio was added fairly early on in its consumer life. It was, of course, much better than its competitor formats (like vinyl vs cassette tape) - much superior quality video on a medium that doesn't deteriorate through use and which has much better search, SloMo and freeze frame features.

The digitalness is probably added by your TV - various image processing things plus there'll likely be an NTSC to PAL conversion somewhere along the line (probably some weird digital processing as well). To get the best experience you might need to get a good analogue tube TV that can do NTSC (it's PAL conversion [unless you can get a native NTSC unit] is probably a softer analogue process).

The future WAS now:

[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
bakersnarkMDW wrote:

At the risk of being the wet blanket I so often am, BUT...

The video on a Laserdisc is (dum dum DUM...) not actually digital! It is in fact a high quality analogue video, equivalent to a professional standard 1" VTR recording encoded as (OMG) a Composite video signal! Early on even the audio was analogue, but CD level 44.1k digital audio was added fairly early on in its consumer life. It was, of course, much better than its competitor formats (like vinyl vs cassette tape) - much superior quality video on a medium that doesn't deteriorate through use and which has much better search, SloMo and freeze frame features.

The digitalness is probably added by your TV - various image processing things plus there'll likely be an NTSC to PAL conversion somewhere along the line (probably some weird digital processing as well). To get the best experience you might need to get a good analogue tube TV that can do NTSC (it's PAL conversion [unless you can get a native NTSC unit] is probably a softer analogue process).

The future WAS now:

Yea, so I actually did find this out when I looked it up after I posted the other day. I was confused because many players do have S-video out. But apparently it won't actually make the picture better because it just takes a composite signal and splits to to work with the s-video cable.

The good news is there's no reason to buy another player just for s-video or scart.

So I was totally wrong in calling it "digital looking", but I think what made me make the connection was FMV from games. Seeing a picture that is clearly differen't to VHS, but still has scanlines is really weird and the only place I've seen it before is in FMV games. It really does fuck with your brain.. haha
I wonder if there is something happening in a ntsc to pal conversion. I'm not playing this on a modern TV, but it is a fairly big TV. Its being played on a rear projection TV.
The scanlines really stand out and I'm not sure if this is because I'm used to them not being there or if its due to the large screen size and relatively low resolution.

I also didn't realise how long this format has been around. I thought it was new in the 90s, but no.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
Hwaygo wrote:

ahhh...

Weird. I knew of the LaserActive but for some reason didn't realise (or maybe I just conveniently forgot) that the games were LD. I watched that video and got pretty excited about the possibility of owning one. But looking up the game library, I realise there's nothing there that I'm actually interested in collecting.

That's probably why I conveniently forgot about the thing!

A shame really, could you imagine full album style packs for games? That would be incredible. I still absolutely adore the EA album style games for the Commodore 64. I wish all games came out in that packaging. My favourite being Archon:

IMG_0691.jpg  IMG_0692.jpg  IMG_0693.jpg  IMG_0694.jpg 
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:

So... are we still “off topic”? 😉
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0