bakersnarkMDW
Wasn’t sure how broad or specific to get with topics. Thought it might get a bit cluttered if every little comp had it’s own thread but big ones like the recent NZ event probably should. So I’ve settled for the designation “Local”, which for me means Sydney, and probably inner Sydney. In fact if I post something it’s likely to be on the Zball pinball machines which (for those who don’t know me) I repair. See zball.com.au. Of course anyone else who knows of any tournaments local to them should feel free to also post them here.

Another reason for this thread is that I don’t use Facebook and the current Cambridge Kerfuffle isn’t tempting me towards the dark side. This doesn’t stop people promoting their comps on a platform that locks non-members out of the detailed info that promoters should want everyone to see. If I or someone else gets their hands on the secret info that should be generally known by everyone, it can be put here for others like myself who sensibly don’t play the Zuckerberg internet privatisation game!
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
So...
Having had the recent Sydney 2018 #1 Knockout Tournament at the Annandale Hotel, the festivities move just up the road (Paramatta Rd) to the Bald Faced Stag for another #1:

C3650947-DB77-4178-A38E-0BEFA49BFC1F.png

Another comp on Zball machines organised by a 3rd party (Zball will be running its own competition series starting in May). My partner Joanne has an account with the evil internet empire and so was able to extract the following details for me:

E727B9AA-D2CD-4531-91ED-9B4CD8080B30.png

Details
The very first Pinbrawl Pinball Tournament at The Bald Faced Stag!

Come play an afternoon of pinball with everyone at The Bald Faced Stag, the tournament will start at 2 o'clock, will only cost $10 to register and you'll get an hour and a half (could vary depending on turnout) with all the machines on free play to record some of the highest scores on each machine to qualify for the 16 contestant Knockout Tournament!

There will be prizes for the winner and runner up so start practicing.

The Rules:

There will be an hour and a half (could vary depending on turnout) qualifying round to determine the 16 players to enter the final tournament.

Qualifying points system:
The top 12 recorded scores from each machine will be awarded qualifying points. The top 16 players will then qualify for the finals. Tied qualifying scores that result in more that 16 finalists will trigger a sudden death round where the lowest tied qualifying players will play a single game for an additional point.

1st - 15 points
2nd - 12 points
3rd - 10 points
4th - 9 points
5th- 8 points
6th - 7 points
7th - 6 points
8th - 5 points
9th - 4 points
10th - 3 points
11th - 2 points
12th - 1 point

Following the Qualifying round will be a Single elimination knockout tournament.

Single Elimination: Players compete head-to-head in a standard bracket. The winner of each match advances in the bracket while the loser is eliminated from the tournament.

List of machines:
The Avengers (Stern, 2012)
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure (Williams, 1993)
Black Rose (Bally, 1992)
Cirqus Voltaire (Bally, 1997)

Pinbrawl will be on the first Sunday of every month.

A massive thanks to Z Ball Pinball are helping to make all this possible and to The Bald Faced Stag having us.

Follow us on Instagram - pinbrawl
Contact us - contactpinbrawl@gmail.com
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Great to see some tournament promotion on the forum, thanks BakersnarkMDW.

Unfortunately I can't make the first Pinbrawl - I'll be in Lithgow for the Easter holidays. After that though I'm hoping to make the next Sydney Knockout, and perhaps some of these Pinbrawls in the future.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Couple of extra bits about Pinbrawl.

This comp is NOT IFPA ranked so might be a good way for more casual players to have a little comp experience. (Also it includes the hour and a half qualifying play before people get knocked out).

Also there is a prize for the winner supplied by Zball - some sort of Samsung Galaxy Pad (don’t know model). 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Great prize. Pretty good incentive for people to come along.

Details on the next Sydney Knockout has been posted:

Quote:
Here comes another Knockout tournament in Sydney and again thanks to Z Ball Amusements for hosting it.
We will start around 7:00 PM - Tuesday, April 17th at the Annandale hotel.

Format:

- Players will be randomly selected into groups of 4 using the Matchplay software.
- Matchplay will also determine the play order and machine choice.
- The 3rd & 4th place player in each match will earn a strike. Once a player has received 2-3 strikes, they will be eliminated from the competition.
- In the event a group of 3 has been drawn, only the 3rd place player will earn a strike.
- Play will continue until there is only one player remaining in the competition, who will be declared the winner.

Number of strikes depends on the number of attendance and when we actually start the tournament. Most likely it will be two strikes if we will have the same amount of people as last time.

No preregistration needed, but to get a rough number of players you can express your interest here https://www.facebook.com/events/116015999191636/

Please try to be on time, because once we start the tournament you can't join anymore.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
C3D9723A-9980-4F01-895C-DAF4CB4C673B.png  A bit of a delay on this but here are the results and some pics from the 1st Pinbrawl last Sunday.
99BFDED3-7F2D-450C-A7EF-87722E8C5FDE.jpeg  8D22A5A8-2CAC-4C00-AD3C-19C866505D4A.jpeg 
Win to Pat Nichols [right] (which I sort of predicted when I spotted him there). 2nd was unknown to me (like many of those present) and a relative newbie (DAN). Meant the final was a bit of an anti climax but overall a successful comp.
651FA475-E9FD-4381-A587-51248ED5D993.jpeg 
The head-to-head Knockout format in a comp involving some less experienced players can feel a little awkward. There’s a little bit of guilt beating someone who simply hasn’t played as much as yourself but the alternative is a personally embarrassing early exit.

Pat knocked me out at the semifinal stage in another fairly disappointing match (my worst Cirqus all day - in fact CC, who I knocked out in the first round on Cirqus, would have taken me out on this game’s score!). Bit of a letdown after my previous game on Indy - after 2 balls I was about 64mil with my opponent about 200mil ahead. Figured I was on the way out but ball 3 clicked and after several extra balls I finished with a bit over a billion (about 1.2 I think) - could have been a bit more but I tilted one ball and lost a lot in bonuses (as you do on Indy).

Some more comp snaps:
B50054A9-CFC2-4302-8378-95AEB664A23F.jpeg  70B4F42B-B4C4-4353-ABBD-6C3740553943.jpeg  A9EA02CB-1925-40C7-897A-D87E86776D26.jpeg  C0FDBF0C-AB87-4090-B533-7FE99B595964.jpeg  B7BE73D0-E58B-424A-BFBD-F47AF66A640C.jpeg  382827A8-5739-4E80-8C8E-58526AEDCB53.jpeg 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Looks like a great little competition and it's great to see many new faces.

Pat's an awesome guy, he obviously made the trek from Newcastle to take part so that's very impressive.

Maybe I can come along to one of these at some point, though it's going to be hard to find the time.... See how things pan out.

Thanks Mark for all the photos and the post. I'm looking forward to the Sydney Knockout on the 17th!
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Quick Roundup of Coming Comps

So, Pinbrawl is set to continue at the same location on the first Sunday of each month - the next being the 6th of May

Before that happens, the 1st of May will see the kickoff of the 2018 season of Zball comps at the Lord Raglan. This year the comp events will be held at a variety of venues on a variety of days, so hopefully everyone will find at least a few they can attend. See here for dates and locations:
http://zball.com.au/index.php/newsletter/
All these events are IFPA rated so pop along to improve your (inter)national ranking!

Topping that list, though not actually part of the Zball season, is the 2nd Sydney Knockout comp to reoccur at the Annandale Hotel Next Week on Tue 17th Apr. See here for details:
http://golja.org/sydneypinball/
Also IFPA rated, so Sydneysiders can finally gather a few ranking points without having to travel to far flung parts of the country or the world!
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Oh wow, ZBall League kicks off! Very happy to hear this news and will start putting these events in my calendar. Thanks Mark.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Don’t forget the 2nd Sydney Knockout Pinball comp is on tonight (Tue 17th Apr) at the Annandale Hotel.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Popping along just for a short social. I have to head off at 8pm as I've got a big day at work tomorrow. Stupid work...
Quote 0 0
Mar
bakersnarkMDW wrote:
Don’t forget the 2nd Sydney Knockout Pinball comp is on tonight (Tue 17th Apr) at the Annandale Hotel.

Who won the comp last night?
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
D8AF561A-BD33-42FD-86EC-07C3263DBAAE.jpeg
Podium from last night. 3rd placed Reon being congratulated, beaten by team Greg. 
Final Standings:
E723954D-65A2-4A1B-BA0E-0FBAF28CE935.jpeg
See here for round by round matchups:
https://matchplay.events/live/qnkz9/matches
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Congrats to Greg, he's a fantastic player without a doubt.

Also congrats to Roger for coming 4th. I've got my suspicions he cheats and has a set of keys to the games myself...
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Quite a remarkable result for a Roger as, on his own admission, he was delirious from lack of sleep! I think his result may have been worse if he had actively tried to cheat 😀
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0