bakersnarkMDW
Is it a key economic indicator that these pickup threads are moving to quarterly instalments?
Readers will be shocked to discover my pickups to be tabletop games! 😉

One of the more veteran members of the game group I used to attend held an auction on Board Game Geek through January. I believe he usually cleared a few games out each year but this was a particularly large one because, tragically, his wife had recently lost a long battle with breast cancer and the proceeds were to provide the core for a donation to the McGrath Foundation to fund a nurse in her name. A couple of other guys from the group also provided some games and ultimately he raised well over $4000 (I’m afraid my contribution was quite modest).
The auction concluded at the end of January but I didn’t arrange receipt of them until the beginning of March.

Brass
3CBFEEC9-F0D8-4B56-B4C5-FCDD6C85E99E.jpeg 
An economic boardgame set in Lancashire during the industrial revolution. The game has been rebooted recently and is now called Brass: Lancashire, as it has been given a sibling game called Brass: Birmingham. Not my standard type of game, and it looks and sounds like something from The IT Crowd’s Moss’ Game Board vodcast - “Textile Merchant: Norfolk Edition”. I have played it - it was one of the first games I played at the Inner West Games group, and though I was unable to confirm it, this has a good likelihood to be the actual copy I played then.

PLAGUE: The Card Game
65A04CD3-0C7B-4703-BC15-CEEBBEF9746E.jpeg 
Also played once at the group with the guy supplying it to the auction, it’s not the copy I played, as this one was shrink wrapped. It’s a cheerful little trick-taking card game (like Euchre, 500, Bridge) but incorporating penalty point (Plague) cards (like Hearts, Black Maria, Rickety Kate) with a Black Death theme. It has 3 suits (red, green & blue) and each suit always trumps another suit in a Rock, Paper, Scissors style:
Red trumps Green trumps Blue trumps Red
Rock trumps Scissors trumps Paper trumps Rock.
I like the artwork - a grim sort of Tarot style.
A244A96A-B2AE-42ED-A490-AB0A46F44276.jpeg  51265F2D-AD7B-4D9F-B270-4BFC141D54E6.jpeg  4201ACDD-193D-44EB-ACD8-9219A93D547A.jpeg  4CB24313-5E28-409E-B87B-4B99C20F9A3B.jpeg 

The last acquisition is a tool rather than a game but I got it specifically for my games. It’s a craft/scrapbooking device - a corner cutting punch for rounding off sharp right-angled corners.
EF7A8B82-576F-4CF4-B80A-E4AFADDB5F71.jpeg 
When a game publisher hits some budget limits, one of the first things they do to cut corners is to not cut corners - on cards! They may even print the cards in sheets that are just perforated and need separating. Rounded corners on cards can make a world of difference to shuffling and avoids card-marking damage to the sharp corners. $10 spent at Lincraft is allowing me to transform a bunch of my cheaper games.

I now wait for John to blow this thread up with all the acquisitions alluded to in podcast 35 (likewise Marc & Matt with their physical video game purchases).
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 2 0
Mar
Ahh a pickup thread! Yes you're right Mark, they've dropped off a little of late. I've been pretending to be busy on other things.

I haven't really gotten anything of late, except for all that Phantomas stuff which some of that I posted in the thread of the podcast. Otherwise it's been a little quiet. I am due to receive my Out Run PCB back from the UK soon, as it's been over there getting repaired (again). I'll post that when it appears.

I'm not sure I'm keen on your rounded corners malarky. I know I'm a bit anal (!) on 'original condition', so my opinions may be the minority. But besides modifying the original material (and therefore potentially losing value (some people don't care about that either!)), but you might lose some of the artwork too? Anyway, that's probably just me...
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
Wow.. I did not know such a corner-cutter existed! I like it..

We do die cutting at my work which often involves rounded corner cutting, and I have been thinking about how you might do such a rounded corner sans the expensive die cutting equipment. 
One question that comes to mind though is: Can you modify the curve radius? 

Will work on getting photos posted of latest acquisitions..
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
No adjustment on my $10 cutter but I’m fine with that - it produces the rounding I want (I expect some punch manufacturers may provide a range of separate punches to cover different radii [in fact I think I spotted a multipack online at one point]). I first thought of rounding corners because sharp corners were becoming damaged through use, identifiably marking cards and hindering shuffling, and I first looked at the curved blades of nail clippers but the curve was too flat. Then I speculated that crafty scrapbooking types must have wanted to round corners at a SOME point so I looked for the assumed device successfully.

To Marc’s point, I tend to be quite conservative when it comes to altering from original condition (with the exception of applying clear contact), but I have my games primarily to play and the practical advantages of round corners far outweigh concerns about original condition. Additionally I don’t think any game designers have gone for square corners by preference but to reduce costs, so rounded corners are actually closer to original concept. I do keep an eye on art cropping (more than the Starfinder pawn designers!) and it hasn’t been an issue yet. The cutter really doesn’t remove much card.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
I had a few things turn up in the last couple of days;

1. Some MegaDrive games! I like MegaDrive games...

IMG_3272.jpg 

2. And then this turned up unexpectedly. And I say that in a literal way, and even that's being exceptionally kind;

IMG_3276.jpg 

This is some stuff I received (eventually) from a Kickstarter I backed over 4 years ago. Yes, 4 years. It's not something I'd like to talk about actually, it just makes me angry... But yeah, it arrived. There's more stuff to come from that Kickstarter and I don't have any expectations of it ever arriving...

3. My Out Run PCB arrived back from the UK. It's still in the box it arrived at my doorstep in, so no photos. But it's a PCB, and it's been repaired. Hooray!
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:

1. Some MegaDrive games! I like MegaDrive games...

Even Super Baseball 2020 😉

Mar wrote:

This is some stuff I received (eventually) from a Kickstarter I backed over 4 years ago. Yes, 4 years. It's not something I'd like to talk about actually, it just makes me angry...

Kickstarter makes me angry too but because too often it DOES deliver masses of attractive but mediocre board games diluting the pool and distracting from the good ones.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
A mixed and odd bag of additional pickups for me.

1/ Harking back yet again to the Episode 3 podcast thread, I mentioned there that I had Games Workshop’s Battle Games in Middle Earth, which I described as: “one of those expensive ripoff week-by-week instalment things at the newsagent which I usually avoid...”. My general rule for these things is, though they should mostly be ignored, I will buy the first one (or two) of the loss leader reduced price intro copies if they have something of standalone value - not a piece of rigging (string) from a Spanish galleon or the first cog of a pocket watch that will take hundreds of weeks and thousands of dollars to complete (if you don’t miss an issue). In the case of the Middle Earth thing, it had a dozen plastic orcs, 4 sample-sized pots of paint, paintbrush, and a 6-sided “Gaming dice” (though there was only one so should have been “die”) for about $4.
80CCA7F9-F1DB-4984-93BE-9E7BB5DCDDEA.jpeg 
3DFD7D2A-37E4-4C81-9D13-1770384555C7.jpeg 

That was then and this is now and Games Workshop is back to seriously rip off the unsuspecting collection addict with Warhammer 40,000 Conquest: Battle Games in the 41st Millennium.
F77DBB62-7341-4052-905C-62815512D48D.jpeg 
And once again I’m all over that loss leader 1st issue, this time costing a whole $5 (subsequent issues will be $13 and will be ignored). EDIT: actually it’s issue 2 for $13 and the rest for $20 each. Issue 2 has some dice and maps and rulers (as well as paint and figures) so I might give it a little consideration...
D038328F-3320-4FC7-9937-084F44556D9C.jpeg 
This time you get 3 space marines (fairly substantial multi-part figures), paintbrush, and 3 pots of paint. But this time, impressively, they are full retail sized pots of Citadel paint.
You also get an A1 poster of a Space Marine, if you’re into that sort of thing .
5DD574A8-0A99-4F42-AB99-B7921A456987.jpeg 
What’s with all the dangly/flowy ribbon things? (They’re also on the minis).
So nice, I had to buy it twice! At your local newsagent NOW if anyone’s interested. I figure I can use them for practice if I want to paint the plastic minis from my Battletech Introductory Box Set.
33F50F0F-E8B6-48D9-BBD1-AFD08BDA5482.jpeg 
I could also potentially use them to represent infantry units in Battletech, though they are out of scale to the multi-storey vehicles weighing tens of tons that are the mechs of Battletech (see the infantry in the foreground of the box cover above).

2/ Speaking of Battletech, I recently realised I’d missed a related pickup from a couple of months ago. The reason I thought of it now was I was again considering going along to Exiles Game Club which meets down near St Peters station. They seem mostly into role playing (which currently I’m not) but they have some boardgaming pop up on their schedule and one specifically mentioned was Battletech, so I was looking through my stuff again. Battletech is old and huge and I’d decided I’d just stick to the box set with its reduced but substantial 80 page Introductory Rulebook.
4FB27EC3-2313-45AE-8331-A4871D84A21F.jpeg 
But then I saw a discounted copy of Total Warfare, which is the full tactical combat rules - it fits in the box and that would be it!
Kept seeing Battletech sale items but studiously ignored them as undesirable excess in a giant system. BUT THEN I paid enough attention one day to see what Sword and Dragon was.
1CD1B45F-144C-4F0A-9F3C-7FB0577E4774.jpeg  14D34F5D-6D18-4ECA-9405-80DCFCCB51EC.jpeg 
(This is the actual pickup [finally])
It’s a starter book designed to follow straight on from the Intro Box with premade mech units and associated scenarios (a number of good things are said about it on Boardgame Geek [although there’s an essential errata file somewhere]) - for $5.40 (reduced from $27) it seemed a sensible addition (& it kinda fits in the box with the rest [raises the lid by slightly less than the thickness of the book...])
The back cover says it’s a fight between House Davion and House Kurita, but the insignia up top suggest House Martel vs House Targaryen!

3/ The last isn’t a game but I already fudged it on to the Play threads over here: https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/podcast-episode-31-barcades-project-z-ball-2020-bartronica-netherworld-1989-australian-arcade-championships-and-10043736?pid=1308120630&random=32431
50C63558-ABBD-4488-9336-D1B7F0132FD8.jpeg 
Got the DVD of the first season of the TV series Counterpart, which I’ve been watching on SBS On Demand. I prefer buying stuff from shops rather than online (just like I prefer DVDs to streaming) and I thought I might have problems finding it, but JB had piles of them at Broadway. I’ve watched 6 out of the 10 episodes so far and I’m very much enjoying it. I’ve watched the first 3 a second time (the first ep a third time) with other people and enjoyed them every time. As the 1st season DVD has only just been released, I guess I’ll have to go back to slumming it on streaming when I get to series 2. 😔

(Sorry, only about half of those were actual pickups 😕)
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
By the power of forum I resurrect an older discussion with relevant addition next to original post (not a Discord thing). 

Got this today (23/8/19) from Cat Protection Op Shop.
ED00C48A-5AE5-4491-8BB6-5E43CB5EAE55.jpeg

Something for above Space Marines to potentially lean on.
I’m assuming sealed for $6 is a little better than Games Workshop RRP. Will be unsealed soon.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0