Mar
This was the first ever arcade cabinet I restored, and I think it turned out quite well...

First of all, I purchased this nice condition LAI MK cab from Melbourne and had it sent over my way. It had a pretty dodgy conversion done to it, into some generic Capcom fighting... thing. It looks pretty ugly but that's fine, I've got much bigger ideas for it!

IMG_1905.jpg  IMG_1906.jpg  IMG_1907.jpg  IMG_1909.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
So the first step was buying a marquee (which I think I bought from the USA if I remember correctly). And then all of the decals I needed which I bought from the awesome Noodle Shirt (http://www.noodleshirt.com) who are just down the road from me and print anything and everything you can possibly imagine. He's also just a great guy to deal with so I couldn't recommend them enough.

IMG_1880.jpg  IMG_1877.jpg  IMG_1882.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
It's worth noting to point out, that this is an LAI cab so the control panel decal is completely different. Obviously, the sides are a different shape and so forth as well. So if you are restoring a cab you might want to be sure you're getting the right decal set for either LAI or the USA version.
Quote 0 0
Mar
I then sat on all of this for quite some time. I think in my head, I planned to restore this cabinet back to it's original Mortal Kombat glory, but also never really expected to actually do it. I know that sounds kind of weird, but I never thought I had the skills / experience (definitely didn't have the experience!), and wasn't sure I'd ever have the time.

But one day I got some weird motivation so I attempted my very first decal installation. It went on quite easily, and after looking at it I suddenly thought I could actually do the whole thing reasonably easily. Or at least, easier than I initially thought.

IMG_1883.jpg  IMG_1885.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
Looking at the front decal kept giving me confidence that I could actually tackle this cab. Besides, it's not like I was a complete newbie, I've literally watched hundreds of hours of John's Arcade (https://www.youtube.com/user/blkdog7/videos) arcade restoration videos. So I built up this weird momentum and suddenly I was onto the control panel sides.

IMG_1897.jpg  IMG_1898.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
Then the control panel overlay. And this is where it got a little more difficult. Stripping all of the buttons and sticks off there was more work than I thought. But it did all come off and looked reasonable. I have to say though, whatever this dodgy control panel is (It's definitely not original, looks like someone cut it out of a large piece of metal) still brushed up ok. And once the CPO was on, it looked pretty damn amazing.

IMG_1888.jpg  IMG_1894.jpg  IMG_1895.jpg  IMG_1896.jpg  IMG_1899.jpg  IMG_1899 2.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
I bought some MCA joysticks (that's the experience I remember) to go on the cab. Yes, there's a Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja PCB in there too... Anyway, popping those joysticks in was again a bit of a nightmare, but in they went. The control panel looks fantastic, even if I do say so myself.

IMG_1922.jpg  IMG_1925.jpg  IMG_1929.jpg  IMG_1935.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
Chaos in the arcade!

IMG_1936.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
Found this in the instruction manual for Mortal Kombat which I thought was pretty funny. "You don't want those silly Street Fighter II cabs anymore!".

IMG_1982.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Mar
A bit of time past before I built up the courage do to the side decals. I knew those were going to be the toughest part and I wasn't looking forward to it. One wrong move and you're up one of those creeks without one of those things... But, can't stop now. It's time for the sides!

IMG_1938.jpg  IMG_1940.jpg  IMG_1943.jpg  IMG_1941.jpg  IMG_1947.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
So I had a major issue when I was doing one of the sides. Half way down sticking the decal on, the non stuck half fell onto the stuck half, and so it had stuck to itself in a big mess. I had thought I had totally stuffed it up and started panicking. Thankfully, I managed to slowly peel it off and recover... That was a close one.

Another issue I had, was on the other side it must have slipped from the clamps at some stage and it went on crooked. I didn't notice until I was most of the way done. Thankfully, and probably thanks to Noodle Shirt for making such quality product, I was able to peel it most of the way off the cab again and just recenter. It all worked out ok...

It looks salright, dunnit?

IMG_1959.jpg  IMG_1966.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
But there were two things missing to complete the puzzle. And those had to wait for another day...
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Nice restore. Boy those capcom stickers looked ugly. Its not the sticker design. Its the way the previous owner just slapped it on there.. with seemingly no care at all.
What you've done shows what can be done with some care and effort! Looks awesome!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
ausretrogamer
*GULP* Wow, just wow. I can look at this kind of stuff all day (I am a visual creature)! Oh yeh, wish i had half your skill to restore / fix stuff up. I tend to start and then stop as soon things get complex / hard. And I also promised my wife I would not tinker with any (deadly) electrical items. 
[ARG_Banner_hi-res] 
Quote 1 0
Mar
ausretrogamer wrote:
*GULP* Wow, just wow. I can look at this kind of stuff all day (I am a visual creature)! Oh yeh, wish i had half your skill to restore / fix stuff up. I tend to start and then stop as soon things get complex / hard. And I also promised my wife I would not tinker with any (deadly) electrical items. 

Nice of you to say Alex. And I can completely understand your wife having reservations about this kind of stuff. Only just last Monday my brother got an electric shock working on my Gorgar pinball machine. These things are dangerous.
Quote 0 0