bakersnarkMDW
I do tend to go on a bit so I’ll do this in slices (several posts [one post per level?]) to avoid the unwieldy (& unread?) megapost (I might be at yet another level by the end). I’m also, of course, using this as an excuse to discuss the games the pics come from.

So I started my time at Game The System determined to be the Tabletop (Board) game guy - not that I don’t like the rest but someone has to represent for the cardboard realm. So I chose an initial avatar from that realm of cardboard:
A0A781DA-1B45-4952-9B80-AAF1A241157E.jpeg
It’s from Star Fleet Battles ( http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml ), which is the monster grand daddy of space ship combat systems. Based dodgily on Star Trek and launched in 1979, the rule book is a large solid lever-arch binder. The counter I used has my pinball playing (& my actual) initials on it but, unfortunately, isn’t a common or terribly useful ship in the game (1 amongst thousands of counters). There are many, many expansions to this gigantic system and this is part of a later fill-in-the-gaps thing. Basically it represents a Klingon War Cruiser Mauler ship (Klingons unusually have a ‘D’ designation for their cruisers - add a ‘W’ for War and an ‘M’ for Mauler). Basically it’s a gutted shell of a war cruiser wrapped around an unsubtle monster weapon unsubtley and monstrously called a Mauler. Like a super-shotgun or super-flamethrower blasting straight out the front of the ship, it can only do GBH on the nearest ship and then run away to recharge - it’s part of a fleet, not a solo actor. But it’s got my initials and it’s (hopefully) recognisably Klingon/Trek...

Here’s a ship display from Federation Commander (the simplified offspring of Star Fleet Battles) of a very similar ship - a Mauler conversion of the older Klingon D6 Heavy Cruiser. The big black arrows are the Mauler, and most of the rest of ship is given over to power systems to run the weapon, including giant battery banks to supplement the engines (which might be used in part to actually move) supply for the power hungry device. I’m sure a future incarnation of Tesla had something to do with the refit!
3C586901-06FC-4326-89B6-57EE4F97D80D.jpeg
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
9: Elite

The first time I made a change to my avatar to something contextually relevant to my GTS level was when I hit Elite. Knowing Marc coveted my package (😉 pictured here:
https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/the-seventh-pod-hath-been-cast-9707555?pid=1304013475 ), it seemed appropriate to temporarily adopt the insignia from my C64 Gold Edition of Elite.
E11691D1-EED9-448F-863D-6E9340C7E501.jpeg
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
10: Legendary

Thought this would be easy to find a representative avatar from a game but had to dig deep. Another Star Trek based spaceship combat game, this one is much more recent than Star Fleet Battles and more properly licensed - covering the entire franchise (pre reboot movies).

Star Trek: Attack Wing (https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/139771/star-trek-attack-wing)

is a tabletop miniatures combat game between ships from the Star Trek universe.
E0628684-6207-4092-9A3B-2D3798A72164.jpeg

It’s the same system (mostly) as Star Wars: X-wing

(https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game)

but I think the scale of the Trek ships fit the type of game better. Here is Wil Weaton and Seth Green etc (includes Husky Starcraft, if that means anything to anyone) on Tabletop playing (oddly enough) the Star Wars version.

The ships come with cards representing crew, weapons, and other systems - I used a pic of the Miles O’Brien card over in the Off Topic section:

https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/industrial-3d-printing-9689634?pid=1303763306

In a really obscure and nearly useless ship pack I only got because it was on a super runout special of $1 I found a card that was at least useful for this (with a little cropping).
D96F4A68-5BF7-402E-961F-6FC644419749.jpeg

This is the ship if you’re interested:
0BDA1140-FF27-4BF7-A595-8A726AAD2490.jpeg 
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/178315/star-trek-attack-wing-denorios-expansion-pack
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
9: Elite

Knowing Marc coveted my package

Hmm I don't remember this. Had I been drinking?

I've really found it entertaining how you've been changing your avatar depending on what level you're on. Certainly not something I expected when I implemented that system and it's made it all the more enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to how you handle the remaining levels. Though, it's going to take you some time to get through them!
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
11: Grand Champion

This one is very straight forward- HAD to be a pinball screenshot.
7CFA0920-D03E-44E0-B803-35DDDADF147F.jpeg

At the risk of sounding boastful, but I have (& have had) a few GCs spotted about the place (& in my camera roll 😁). This is not one I should necessarily hold up with pride but it was current and prettier than ones from the old orange plasma screens. It’s from the Zball Guardians of the Galaxy LE pinball machine at the Annandale Hotel. I have no idea how it rates in the overall scoring scheme of things and it was largely the result of judicious and serendipitous use of the Hadron Enforcer (lockdown button smart bomb).

Bit of a short post for me, so I’ll throw in a contextual comment on the latest podcast. At one point there’s a discussion about the difficulty of finding someone to do justice to depicting a young Han Solo in the context of the release of the movie Solo. I reckon Chris Pratt could give it a good go - he plays Starlord in GotG, and that current similar role probably ruled him out of playing the part.

(Trivial note: this was the Gross post [N° 144])
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
12: Wizard Mode

Another one where I thought I would be spoilt for choice for game items to use but many I thought of used a different name (eg Arch Mage) or didn’t have ‘Wizard’ written in a useful location. Not such an obscure grab as Legendary above though:
B6314DDA-8C5E-4CAD-AD64-4D2C1183EC99.jpeg 
Its from the original version of Munchkin, hence the cartoony false beard look.
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/1927/munchkin

i should point out that, although I own all the components I’ve been using for my avatar (& therefore, the games), for convenience I have used pictures others have taken and posted online at Boardgame Geek (the official pic of Elite on Videogame Geek IS mine 😁).. I actually pulled the Wizard detail from this little 3 card tableau created by some wacky Munchkin geek:
3D672A79-0409-4A12-A10D-0C8A5DF30C95.jpeg

Watch the game played on Wil Wheaton’s  Tabletop with the game’s designer, Steve Jackson:
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
A boardgame I've played! Myself, John and Matt played this at the PAX after party last year. It was a lot of fun but, I have to admit, I let my emotions get the better of me when John blocked a (what I would describe) a genius play and I got a little angry. I blame all the beer I had drank.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
A boardgame I've played! Myself, John and Matt played this at the PAX after party last year. It was a lot of fun but, I have to admit, I let my emotions get the better of me when John blocked a (what I would describe) a genius play and I got a little angry. I blame all the beer I had drank.

As a chaotic Take-That! type game, sensitivities have to be left at the door. It’s a bit of fun from time to time but it’s biggest drawback for its genre is that by hitting the leader it can be made to go on FOREVER. In a game where one can feel poorly treated by luck or other players, it’s important the game is short and another (revenge) game played. I prefer Nuclear War for its limited duration - no matter who hits who, populations inexorably dwindle to nothing!

Oh, and well done John! 😁
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 2 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:

As a chaotic Take-That! type game, sensitivities have to be left at the door. It’s a bit of fun from time to time but it’s biggest drawback for its genre is that by hitting the leader it can be made to go on FOREVER. In a game where one can feel poorly treated by luck or other players, it’s important the game is short and another (revenge) game played. I prefer Nuclear War for its limited duration - no matter who hits who, populations inexorably dwindle to nothing!

Oh, and well done John! 😁

(AARRGH! 150 posts and my level changes again! Knew I wouldn’t get to explaining my current level before it wasn’t current. “Runner” - that might be tricky...)
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
You'll be pleased (?) to hear that it's going to take more and more posts to progress to new levels as you get to the upper echelons - as you are now. I don't imagine anyone hitting max level for a long, long time!
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
You'll be pleased (?) to hear that it's going to take more and more posts to progress to new levels as you get to the upper echelons - as you are now. I don't imagine anyone hitting max level for a long, long time!

The thing I’m looking at is amount of posts. You’re at 214 and I’m at 150+ - coming to get Ya! Do I own the site if I pass you? 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Perhaps 'own' is a strong word. Let's say, 'exemplary consultant'. Or something.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
hahaha I've totally forgotten what happened in that game of munchkin. But I do remember being like "sorry Marc, that's how this game goes" haha. I've no idea though if it was to stop you winning or help me win.. not sure. Who won that game?
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
I really can’t remember. I feel like it was me but I’m just guessing. Perhaps Matt would remember better, though he just kept looking wistfully out the windows at the Rock Band setup.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
If anyone wants a rematch I have the original plus the first expansion (Unnatural Axe), plus I’ve got Star Munchkin if complicated combo weapons (Phaser-laser-daser-maser) and throwing Red Shirts into danger is your style. As I said above, it can get bogged down and drag on for its style of game. Better The Nuke War family, from which (spoiler alert) my current avatar is pulled.

B1B617C5-833B-49BF-9F50-AFC95E9021C7.jpeg
All “...aser” weapons can be combined in Star Munchkin, and someone HAD to post the Megagun on BGG:
3DA5678B-8C63-44CF-A059-8D7D210F44EB.jpeg 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0