bakersnarkMDW Show full post »
bakersnarkMDW
I guess the thing to address at the start of this entry is why my Big Fat Geek Avatar HASNT been changing. The simple answer is Discord, I guess, it’s advent having largely sucked the life out of the forums. As previously explained, the changes were linked to changes to my Level on the forum - each higher level taking more posts to progress, I arrived at the second last level as Discord caused posts here to dwindle to almost nothing (who would have thought “Immortal” would be a level that seems to go on forever?). It worries me a little that my choice of the Chaos Lord Arioch as my representative immortal coincided with the move from the ordered forums across to the more chaotic Discord channels. Those familiar with Michael Moorcock’s many intertwined works within his all-encompassing multiverse will know, it is not a good thing when either Law or Chaos achieves supremacy, but the ideal situation is when they are in balance (something I would have liked to have seen between Forum and Discord).
Anyway, level up or no, it’s time for a change - prompted by the random stumbling upon a piece of amusing information. Once discovering it’s existence, I could not resist changing my Avatar to the 1950s US nuclear capable cruise missile the Snark!
E963F88C-4341-41BB-A292-6BD30E32A45A.jpeg  2B74232D-FFAA-4035-AFD6-B9DBEA8C2C68.jpeg  6C241CEA-E6A4-49F6-9FBA-7489942E206E.jpeg 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-62_Snark?wprov=sfti1

it had a rather dubious record on accuracy and reliability, with many surprised it had ever made it into operational service. It did have the interesting capability that, if it hadn’t deployed its warhead on a flight, it could theoretically be flown back to base for reuse. Test flights were made towards Puerto Rico and because of the number that failed to make the return flight, some Air Force personnel suggested "That the Caribbean was full of 'Snark infested waters'."
The Snark was a subsonic vehicle and was co-developed with a supersonic version called the Boojum, which perhaps appropriately was never made operational.

(Spoiler alert)

“They hunted till darkness came on, but they found
Not a button, or feather, or mark,
By which they could tell that they stood on the ground
Where the Baker had met with the Snark.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away—-
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.”

Excerpt From
The Hunting of the Snark
Lewis Carroll
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=361568383
This material may be protected by copyright.
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0