Mar
Continuing on a great series of threads that John’s been doing, I thought I’d start the ball rolling for June!

Grabbed these in some late night shopping yesterday (yeah yeah, technically May). Thanks to John for the X360 games!

BEB65571-B577-4B91-B15F-6147B814B041.jpeg

And then just this this morning I took the plunge and bought Hyper Light Drifter. A game I’ve watched a few speed runs of and it reminds me of Fez (turns out the music is by the same guy), and is very much rooted in retro style. The game developer has said it’s his attempt at making a game that mixes Legend of Zelda Link to the Past and Diablo.

84B3947E-7F78-40D8-AA95-353A3914CE25.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll get some time on this before we record the next podcast.    
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
That Atari joystick keychain doesn’t look like it would travel too comfortably in a pocket! 😫

(I realise you’re unlikely to actually use it)
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Hmm, yeah you're right you know. That would be rather painful actually. Luckily I'll just be hanging it in the game room!
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Thanks for putting this up Marc!

Some of your pickups helped me to fund my big one. The Mega CD! Can't wait to delve into it's library of games.

20180601_070447.jpg 
Also picked up a few others

Fantasy zone

1527992184349415278418.jpg 

Alien Storm

1527992231735323221700.jpg 

And Capcom classics.
(This is the worst collection cover I've ever seen)

1527992291372341178536.jpg  15279923017741744910990.jpg 

[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 2 0
bakersnarkMDW
I actually have a few small items this week and, surprise surprise, they’re tabletop games. And they are small, quick, easy games (on sale, of course at around $20 each [$18, $24, $22 respectively]).

First is Circus Flohcati - a set collection card game on the theme of a flea circus with a double deck of cards sporting Ye olde-time style circus acts with flea heads on the performers.
D5289376-F7DF-4327-90C7-8E2A4B937461.jpeg
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/337/circus-flohcati

15min is the claimed playing time. Designed by industry veteran Reiner Knizia, who is the designer vaguely referred to in the IT Crowd Game Board segment, I already owned a kids game called Reiner Knizia‘s Amazing Flea Circus which is also a card game with a UNO-type mechanic plus some plastic cats and dogs you're accumulating as an audience.
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/5697/reiner-knizias-amazing-flea-circus
Here’s a video about Flohcati:

The next is yet another space combat game called Stellar Conflict but each fight should take under 10min!
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/179835/stellar-conflict
In fact, the actual play is a timed minute of throwing down ship cards on a table and the rest is resolving shots by stretching rubber bands along weapon lines out from ship cards to see what other ships they hit - potentially producing friendly fire casualties!
ADC5445A-448A-4C45-B982-61B4046BE45E.jpeg D866DFBE-F79F-4F0E-AE02-10E750AF73BE.jpeg
Should probably be called Jump Gate Bloodbath - warring space fleets are suddenly intermingled and blazing away. 4 fleets provided so the game allows for an up to 4-way fight or 2 duels. (2 more copies for $24 each are at Games Paradise in the cilty)

In part I got it to make use of the laser line-of-sight device I own - though the rubber bands are a cute idea, even cuter (cooler?) to have an actual laser trace from one ship to its target!
9D7C8609-C4A6-44A2-A350-BEC0455AD0F4.jpeg 
Video review from one of my favourites, marnaudo:

The third is actually a second copy of a mini 4X game I mentioned way back at podcast 3 (I know, who would buy duplicates of these things? 😉) - Pocket Imperium.
https://videogamegeek.com/boardgame/147299/pocket-imperium
8E146A1F-189B-4774-B1C7-D9BCD71F8927.jpeg  660D4333-6224-4B30-9F0E-5BDC2A8C4348.jpeg

Little wooden space ships on 7 interlocking hex tiles are issued Expand, Explore and Exterminate orders via hidden cards in a Rock/Paper/Scissors-style bluff. Exploitation occurs at the end of each round. Theoretical maximum of 45min as a 4 player, about 30 min for 2 or 3.
Here's a write up I did of a play-through of Pocket Imperium with description of the game, the rules, how we got a number of them wrong and what they should have been. I was pleased to note that one of the 3 thumbs I received was from user 'morti', the designer of the game.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/218332/item/5333941#item5333941

And here’s a demo Video:
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
I like the look of Stellar Conflict! Would be keen to give it a go on our next board game gathering!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Hwaygo wrote:
I like the look of Stellar Conflict! Would be keen to give it a go on our next board game gathering!

As indicated, it’s small and quick (10 min) so any casual meet up will do as long as I know to bring it. Marc says he likes the look of Circus Flohcati, which is also small and quick to play (15 min).

Oh, and I posted my laser shot pic to BGG and got a thumb from one of the game’s artists. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Sanvy
Dragons Crown Pro and a few others for me this week.
Quote 2 0
Mar
Sanvy wrote:
Dragons Crown Pro and a few others for me this week.

Ahh interesting. I remember that game getting a bit of flack for it's art style back when it was released originally. You'll have to let us know what you think of it once you get stuck in.
Quote 1 0
Sanvy
The game is fantastic ( I have it on Vita & PS3), but I never got to finish it. Controversy aside (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4r9_SybpIs) its bloody brilliant, very much D&D but a lot more depth (remember the old arcade games: Shadows over Mystara etc) very nostalgic but very modern in gameplay. Im still playing Bayo on switch also, both heaps of fun. 
Quote 2 0
Mar
Sanvy wrote:
The game is fantastic ( I have it on Vita & PS3), but I never got to finish it. Controversy aside (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4r9_SybpIs) its bloody brilliant, very much D&D but a lot more depth (remember the old arcade games: Shadows over Mystara etc) very nostalgic but very modern in gameplay. Im still playing Bayo on switch also, both heaps of fun. 

I think I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the reminder. I do love a good D&D action game.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
I'll have to look out for it too.. PS3 games are cheap as chips atm..

I've just started really getting into Bayonetta 1 on switch. About 8 hours in.. I must be close to the end.. but I have no idea. Will probly go to Bayonetta 2 once i finish this one.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
Sanvy
Hwaygo wrote:
I'll have to look out for it too.. PS3 games are cheap as chips atm..

I've just started really getting into Bayonetta 1 on switch. About 8 hours in.. I must be close to the end.. but I have no idea. Will probly go to Bayonetta 2 once i finish this one.

Im about 8 hours in but playing through thoroughly, getting all the Alfeim portals and such. Only at level 3 atm. Learn to dodge offset if you havent already, its a must have ability.

Pickups for this week -- Owlboy and Street fighter anniversary on switch (stay away from online), and Redout lightspeed edition (a whole twenty bucks on ps4 from EB -- a must have title). 
Quote 1 0
Mar
Great to see more Bayonetta players! Keen to hear your thoughts. I’m still going through Bayonetta 2 but haven’t had time to play in the last couple of weeks.

I also haven’t picked anything up for a while... too busy! Terrible...
Quote 0 0