Hwaygo

As I'm sure some of you are aware I am currently doing my honours research project. I am at the point where I need to start collecting data from real people. That's where you come in. I would really appreciate if you could take the time to complete my questionnaire.

For those who are interested in reading more about what I'm doing I've included below a description of the study.

Survey link:  http://unebcss.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4VC0TUcuNZ1ndTD

Thanks very much!

Background:

Early psychology research understood motivation to be propelled by basic human drives, however, more recent research has noted drives beyond basic human needs and has begun to incorporate psychological needs. This led to the development of Self-Determination Theory, which proposes that humans are intrinsically motivated to strive towards self-chosen goals and externally chosen goals are motivated only by extrinsic rewards (Ryan & Deci, 2000). Further study of Self-Determination Theory has shown that humans are more likely to succeed in work roles where they are intrinsically motivated and that extrinsic motivators, while effective in the short term, can have detrimental effects on productivity overall (Ryan & Deci, 2000).

Recent research has begun to investigate the influences of workplace ethical cultures on intrinsic motivation. Kaptein (2008) developed a scale to measure perceptions of ethical behaviours in organisational settings. Positive perceptions of ethical culture at work was found to correlate positively with measures of intrinsic motivation (Kaptein, 2008).

Further research into understanding workplace motivation has led Barrick, Mount, and Li (2013) to develop the Theory of Purposeful Work Behaviours. This theory aims to take into account not just environmental factors like ethical cultures, but also individual differences such as personality traits. Personality traits have been found to predict different types of motivation (Judge & Ilies, 2002). Further to this, the Theory of Purposeful Work Behaviour proposes that personality traits predict personally impactful environmental factors, and thus it is expected that there will be an interaction between personality traits and elements of the work environment (Barrick et al., 2013).

Aims:

This research aims to explore the interactive effects of personality and ethical cultures on work motivation. Investigating the impacts of internal and external factors on motivation at work will help develop a holistic understanding of motivation. In turn, this knowledge will help business managers make the best use of human resources, whilst enriching the work environment.

It is thus hypothesised that ethical organisational culture factors will moderate the relationships between personality traits and intrinsic motivation scores. Furthermore, it is hypothesised that participants with more opportunity to enact personality driven strivings will tend to be more intrinsically motivated.

Research Design:

Participants will complete an online survey hosted by Qualtrics. Demographic information including age, sex, remuneration, occupational industry and occupational role will be collected. This will be followed by measures of personality traits, motivation types, and ethical culture at work. Finally, participants will be asked about their opportunities to enact each of the four higher order strivings described by the Theory of Purposeful Work Behaviour (Barrick et al., 2013).

References:

Barrick, M. R., Mount, M. K., & Li, N. (2013). The theory of purposeful work behavior: The role of personality, higher-order goals, and job characteristics. Academy of Management Review38, 132-153. doi:10.5465/amr.10.0479

Kaptein, M. (2008). Developing and testing a measure for the ethical culture of organizations: The corporate ethical virtues model. Journal of Organizational Behavior29(7), 923-947. doi:10.1002/job.520

Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American Psychologist55(1), 68-78. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68

Tremblay, M. A., Blanchard, C. M., Taylor, S., Pelletier, L. G., & Villeneuve, M. (2009). Work Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation Scale: Its value for organizational psychology research. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science/Revue Canadienne des Sciences du Comportement41(4), 213-226. doi:10.1037/a0015167

[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0