Mar
We talked a lot, about a lot of stuff.

John gets a Switch.
Marc and Matt go to New Zealand Pincade.
We discuss new pinball machines Thunderbirds and Multimorphic P3.
PAX Australia and EB Expo team up, and we aren't entirely happy about it!
And we talk about the top 30 systems of all time as voted by the RetroGamer Magazine readers.

In all the usual places: iTunes, Stitcher, and your favourite RSS feed reader.

http://gamethesystem.co/podcast/19/3/2018/game-the-system-podcast-episode-5

IMG_0669.jpg 
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Well, talk of that River Raid cart has left you wide open for this, and before I get too far in Marc will be slapping his forehead and saying, “not this again!” (I imagine I’ve also regailed Matt with it before). But, any opportunity will do 😄

So I gather the latest speed bump for the River Raid cart is recreating one of these:
8BA8F60B-1DAB-413B-844F-7E48ACC70B7A.jpeg 
Which is basically just a 24 pin DIL chip attached to an edge connector.
Let’s say instead you wanted to recreate a driver board for the Supercharger ball accelerator in a Getaway pinball machine. The original might look like this:
AEA5DDC8-7136-4CBA-A4FB-4DC06F6D960F.jpeg  D81B4635-71C4-421B-81D5-B3F3911BBE93.jpeg 

After figuring out where the traces go underneath the components, you could hand trace the tracks to a blank PCB using some carbon paper and then doodle with a Dalo pen:
8B2B33B8-2624-40F0-B416-B7C684B3DC9A.jpeg  B7D19E33-0C9C-49B1-8E54-9D4AF1A76351.jpeg

A careful little acid bath later (plus a bit of work with a tiny high speed drill) and you might end up with something like this:
CB9018F0-777D-44AE-B907-79CA95DB7557.jpeg  A903C50C-78FD-4ED2-BC4F-516A98DE23BC.jpeg

Throw on the appropriate components and something like this could provide several years of service until someone, who MUD remain nameless, blows it up with some no doubt faulty magnet coils 😉:
B5247DB0-5F64-4191-8D7E-1868EA6B68F3.jpeg

Anyway... something like that could be done for River Raid, couldn’t it?
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
I actually never grow tired of that story, unlike some of your others! I kid...

Very impressive to see something like that, and something that was 'hand made'. Amazing stuff.

Come on BSS, you've got no excuses left now.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
I actually never grow tired of that story, unlike some of your others! I kid...

Very impressive to see something like that, and something that was 'hand made'. Amazing stuff.

Come on BSS, you've got no excuses left now.

After the lengths he has gone to so far for a professional look, Matt may not want some folk arts & crafts lurking within. If he can stand the concept I still have the bits to do it for him (assuming the pen still draws and the acid still corrodes). He’d just need to give me the specs - simply draw up the circuit using some piece of software 😉, or lend me the Boxing cart. Of course he could just take the Boxing ROM off it’s board and use that (or is that potentially even worse than Labelgate?)
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
thrax

Nice pod dudes, the runtime is crazy long! Took me a couple of sessions to get through it but that's all good 😉 My feedback / discussion points from this episode: 

• Switch: I love the pro controller, I never play with anything else unless I'm using the console as a handheld
  • Mario Kart: Double-dash was gamecube, Mario Kari Wii was the Wii, MK7 was on 3DS, and MK8 on Wii U with MK8 Deluxe on Switch
  • Pre-owned games at EB and JB can have some good bargains, but it's pretty rare. It usually happens when someone trades in a game that EB don't actually stock/sell (there's a lot more than you might think). EB tend to miss-classify these from the back office and put great games out at throw away prices. It happened a lot in Nintendo games around Wii and DS days. A downside for EB though is that they have warehouses of sports games that will eventually need to be trashed as people won't buy them for $1 and the dumping costs is highly likely to cost them more then they made ripping off the original trader, all things considered. That area of the business survives off the boom/bust nature of newly released games. Once they age a bit those trade-in bins just become dumping grounds.
  • Segway from above, always check Target for games when you're out shopping as they typically hold a number of games that EB and JB don't stock, even on modern consoles.
  • Speaking of linking Lynx, go and check out the Panasonic 3DO – you could play 8 players by daisy-chaining the controllers to each other, and each controller had a headphone jack with volume slider! 
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
thrax wrote:
  • Mario Kart: Double-dash was gamecube, Mario Kari Wii was the Wii, MK7 was on 3DS, and MK8 on Wii U with MK8 Deluxe on Switch
  • Segway from above, always check Target for games when you're out shopping as they typically hold a number of games that EB and JB don't stock, even on modern consoles

Not in front of me but pretty sure there was a DS equivalent of MK Wii and MK7 was also on Wii.

I concur with the Target tip, and Kmart was the same before they dropped games from their shelves (got Kirby’s Epic Yarn for $10 only months after its release).

That top 30 game list was very obviously UK based with the inclusion of the Spectrum (spawn of the Sinclair ZX80/81) and the Amstrad, both by that point owned by Alan Sugar (star of the UK Apprentice). Alan M Sugar TRADing = AMSTRAD. (That enough trivia for y’all?)

Just in case not, try this (relying on Wikipedia for this one). Spain introduced an odd import exclusion that prevented computers that were 64K or less and had no “ñ” key from being imported, so Amstrad responded with a special model that added an additional board with 8K RAM to beat the RAM limit, however the board wasn’t electrically connected to anything and probably couldn’t have been addressed by the existing hardware even if it was.

Ahh, the Amstrad - it had a bit of an Australian presence in the 80s. Don’t know why it and it’s fantastic 3” floppy disk didn’t catch on. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
I knew one person with an Amstrad 'back in the day'. He liked it but knew he was the ugly step child of the gaming era. That monochrome green screen didn't help...

I enjoyed playing Head over Heels on it, but still preferred my C64 version.
Quote 1 0
BSS
bakersnarkMDW wrote:

After the lengths he has gone to so far for a professional look, Matt may not want some folk arts & crafts lurking within. If he can stand the concept I still have the bits to do it for him (assuming the pen still draws and the acid still corrodes). He’d just need to give me the specs - simply draw up the circuit using some piece of software ðŸ˜‰, or lend me the Boxing cart. Of course he could just take the Boxing ROM off it’s board and use that (or is that potentially even worse than Labelgate?)

Certain things I'm prepared to do, and certain things not. I guess that's the story of this whole thing so far. Been going down this road because I'd like to learn how to use the CAD software properly, since the custom board makers are pretty cheap and I'm sure I'll have another reason to use them in the future.

Using the existing board is totally worse than labelgate! The real reasons, however:
- I can't make my own pin compatible mask ROM.
- EPROMs require an active low chip/output enable. So you have to invert one of the signals coming from the 2600.
- EEPROMs have an extra write enable pin, meaning a 4K EEPROM can't fit in 24 pins.
- For some unfathomable reason, nobody makes 4K EEPROMs in type I wanted to use, so I have an 8K which adds another address line. With the one they waste, presumably for compatibility reasons, this brings it up to 28 pins.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Even as I posted my last message I started to doubt the pinouts were compatible (recalled you hinting at that in one of your earlier posts).

Anyway, if you get bogged and bored with the circuit CAD and need the cart soon, happy to bodge a PCB for you - just scribble it on a napkin or back of a coaster.

Assume the board is basically this (assume the extra chip is like a 7404 to invert that line):

B161678B-B89E-4904-B507-0ECAA8AABAE6.jpeg 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
thrax
bakersnarkMDW wrote:

Not in front of me but pretty sure there was a DS equivalent of MK Wii and MK7 was also on Wii.

Not quite, there was a Mario Kart DS but they're all different games apart from 8 and 8 Deluxe, and MK7 is 3DS exclusive only 😉 I forgot about the DS version, but the Mario Kart series is something I know very very well from playing tons of every version 😃

Also this.
http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Kart_(series)

MK7 on 3DS was amazing at the time it came out except for the online play! It's the first and only time I've ever seen a handheld game completely overun by chinese hackers online. You see it in PC games a heap but that game was completely unplayable... every single race would be flooded with chinese players (by their names) spewing continuous streams of blue shells multiple times a second from the starting line.

Single player it was absolutely amazing.
Quote 1 0