BSS Show full post »
bakersnarkMDW
On a purely technical level I’d have to say your design has a much more pleasing vibrant colour scheme compared to the Ben Eater model, however, I’d have to deduct points for neatness. Perhaps you could braid/plait the longer wires to tidy them up, or you could use shorter jumpers to create multi-stage connections through otherwise unused parts of the breadboard and produce some sort of cross-stitch design! Like the flashing lights but maybe you could get some colour variation in there. 

What was it you were trying to do again?... 😉
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
BSS
I've located a worthy sacrifice.

s-l1600.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Mar
BSS wrote:
I've located a worthy sacrifice.

s-l1600.jpg 

Label Gate continues, and Boxing never stood a chance...
Quote 0 0
BSS
OK here's a label I made:
riverraidtelabel.png 

More or less a reproduction of the original label style. Incidentally Activision had lots of variations, so it's sort of a combination of the NTSC River Raid and "international edition" Barnstorming.

After looking around for high resolution reproduction labels to modify, I came across the key bit of information that all of the text is just the Futura typeface. So easy enough to just type out and place my own text wherever. Just had to get the size and kerning right.

For comparison here's the carts I have with me:
activisioncarts.jpg
And an NTSC River Raid:
River Raid - Cartridge Scan

- "International edition" I think is for PAL versions. Conveniently I can swap this for "tournament edition".
- There's a few games where they take a little creative liberty with the names of game variations (can see in Barnstorming), so I went and did that.
- Left in the original crappy unrealistic screenshot. You could convince me to change it, but this way is a little more genuine to the old labels.

There's a further story to that Chopper Command I have. In Australia there was a distributor (HES) who made their own boxes and labels sort of in the Activision style. They're all sparse like that. I briefly considered doing one of those, since it's locally relevant and a little easier. But I actually prefer the information dense look. Particularly since I won't be making a box or manual. Also note my Chopper Command label hasn't deteriorated. At least they did a better job there.

Another funny thing is that the River Raid HES label used an Intellivision-like screenshot on the Atari cart:
Image result for river raid hes label

Also I basically did this twice. I used paint.net but in hindsight probably Inkscape would have been better. Because it's a bitmap style paint program I just did it in a ridiculous resolution to avoid resize and print issues. The original is 11500x18474. When I was almost done it crashed and I lost everything. Save early, save often.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
I seem to recall having some C64 HESware lying around.
Hope everyone properly appreciates your attention to detail - if you do it too well it may just be assumed original. Perhaps to be properly authentic you need to texture in some label deterioration 😉
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
BSS
The deed is done.
cart.png 
Quote 0 0
Mar
A million Boxing fans cried out, and were suddenly silent.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
BSS wrote:
The deed is done.[image]

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see this image. Seen all previous fine. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
bakersnarkMDW wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see this image. Seen all previous fine. 

The image shows up on desktop, but not on mobile. Another weird thing to add to the list that this forum does...
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:

The image shows up on desktop, but not on mobile. Another weird thing to add to the list that this forum does...

The ‘image’ appears to be a monster link to google user content which I suspect you also have to be logged in as a Google user (something I don’t tend to do) in order to see it. Could it be posted again in some other form (eg load it up as an image)?
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
BSS
Should be OK now. I'm pretty sure all I did was paste the image (not a link) into this editor thingy.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
BSS wrote:
Should be OK now. I'm pretty sure all I did was paste the image (not a link) into this editor thingy.

Well...
I still see this:
2407B618-302C-4847-9255-77DE2A81ECAD.jpeg

Clicking the “image” link produces an image pop up window with a forever-spinning arrow wheel. Holding on the “image” link produces this:

257F1954-79ED-47E6-944E-0A897C9824E0.png

And “Open in new Tab” produces a request to log in to google.

That’s on my iPhone (iOS11), my Macs produce essentially the same result (in a desktoppy/laptoppy way).
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
BSS
I'm so bad at this game. I *swear* I checked it incognito after the first edit. I think it's something to do with the rich text enabled paste being too smart for itself.

Anyway this time you really should be able to see the horror.
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
BSS wrote:
I'm so bad at this game. I *swear* I checked it incognito after the first edit. I think it's something to do with the rich text enabled paste being too smart for itself.

Anyway this time you really should be able to see the horror.

All good - now I can see it! [Though you haven’t fixed it where I quote it the first time I complain I can’t see it ;-) - of course that might make me look silly complaining about something that appears perfectly fine (though it already looked fine to some {lucky I screen shot it later})].
Good to see plenty of isopropyl available for anything and everything, and OMG screwdriver buddies! I’m guessing your Stanley is the newer model with the yellow screw cap on the handle allowing you to store extra bits in the handle. Mine doesn’t have that but makes up for it with a nice heft and balance to it.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
BSS
No extra storage. I twisted and picked at the yellow cap for a while and nothing happened. I've had this screwdriver for about 15 years. You'd hope I figured out something like that by now.
Quote 0 0