Hwaygo
[image]

Finally got my hands on a Master System thanks to Mat (with one T). I am absolutely loving this thing at the moment!

A bit of background for me and the SMS.
Had one growing up of course before trading up to the Mega drive. This was the first system I owned and I don't many memories of the games I played because I was quite young. It's also sometimes hard to tell if a game from those days was played on the Master system or the mega drive because there were so many games ported.

I do know for sure that I used to play a lot of Alex Kidd in miracle world.. (like a lot of people) but being a kid I think I basically sucked at it. I remember my dad playing R-type, but I also sucked at that because its not an easy game. I know I must have played other games but the memories are so vague.

Flash forward to high school, about year 9.. and a friend of mine who was super excited about the Dreamcast (which was about to be released) had a master system 2 which he sold me for $20 with 2 games. The games were "Parlor games" and "Cloud Master". At the time I didn't appreciate or enjoy either of those games and pretty much only played Alex Kidd (and I didn't even play that very much). This was 1999! Faaaaaarr!
After that it sat in a cupboard for 11-12 years when my then girl friend (now wife) encouraged me to de-clutter. This was when I sold all my old game consoles to a local retro games store. I sold an orginial xbox, a gamecube with about 10 games and my master system with those 2 games. (So much regret!)

For some reason at that time I really didn't appreciate the visuals and sound that the master system produced. I think it was because I just didn't pay much attention to the differences between consoles like the Master system and the mega drive. I didn't appreciate that games could be fun no matter how old they are. I just assumed (like many) that newer means better.

My appreciation has changed a lot recently, and I feel that I've grown to appreciate the master system even more than the Mega Drive. There are some really clever things that were done with these games due to the limitations of the hardware. No doubt people who love the NES feel the same way. However it seems to me that this sort of thing was even more apparent with the Master System because Sega was the underdog at the time. They of course had a huge amount of experience with arcade games, which is probably what gave them the means to actually deliver a great console!

Anyway, I'll cut it there because I could go on forever. I will post about each of the games I'm playing over the next week or so. 🙂

[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
Mar
Yeessss, love the Master System. It had some of the best 8-bit arcade ports like Bubble Bobble, R-Type, Wonderboy in Monster Land. Then you have awesome original games like Wonder Boy 3 Dragons Trap, Sonic (it’s an original game not a port of the MD game, and it’s awesome), and Mickey’s Castle of Illusion (same again, not a port just an awesome original game. I actually like the MS version more than the MD).

Great system. Enjoy.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
[DcRLCcNVQAAb8Ui] 

So I'd never heard of this game before, but I picked it up because it was cheap and I liked the cover art. I did also look at some screen shots.

Boy, did this game have so much more in it than what I was expecting. I actually sat down to read the manual before I started playing. Well, lets say I looked at the manual because I wanted to see what kind of condition it was in, and then ended up reading it because there was so much to look at.

[DcRLJaiUwAEO6mf] 

The game obviously has a fantasy story. Something about evil monsters taking over, killing the king and some elders have set 3 tasks and anyone who can achieve them becomes the new king.
The game is non-linear and provides no direction other than the main 3 tasks, but in your adventure you come across towns and collect items. There are weapon upgrades as well.

[DcRLNsyU0AEKzrF]

You only have one life in this game but you can take quite a few hits before you drop. The game also has battery powered memory so you can continue your game. You also get 10 "continues" before you have to restart your adventure.

The combat is unfortunately a bit repetitive, although it is challenging. However, the challenge partially comes from the fact that this is one of those side scrollers that only scrolls once the character is fairly close to the screens edge making it difficult to react to enemies as they appear.
You need to know whats coming and how to react without getting hit, and for some enemies this seems impossible. The fact that you can't avoid hits is somewhat made up for by the fact that you can heal in town, so its all about making it to that next town.

I think this game is an attempt to make an adventure with combat that feels plausible. You have a bow but it takes some time to knock. Your sword is faster but has obvious range drawbacks. And the game actually encourages you not to fight unless you have to.

I've done a fair bit of exploring and found a lot of dead ends. I wanna put this game on my "conquered" list, but I think I may need some internet help to do that. haha

[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
Hwaygo
[DcJfz7aVMAAYUT9] 

Is this thing a total copy of Pole Position? I've never actually played Pole Position so I have no idea.

[DcJf1r_VAAEJIRW] 
So I've had this really vague memory of an F-1 racing game with a track editor from my childhood rattling around my brain for the last 20 or so years. I just remember it being the most amazing thing to create your own track, but I wasn't sure if this was a figment of my imagination or if it really existed. 
Well as soon as I saw the cover for World Grand Prix I knew that it was this game! It was also super cheap so I had to get it. 
I actually expected the game to be pretty horrible and I was surprised to find that its actually quite fun. Its very simple but it runs very smooth and gives a real sense of speed. I found that you need to use the breaks on the turns to give yourself enough to time react to the other cars on the track.

[DcJf2GeVAAAkkBp] 

It has low and high gear just like outrun, and it seems to be mostly about dodging the other cars on the track (which tend to change lanes at the last second). I've found it best to sit in the middle of the track in anticipation of the lane change. Its hard to do this on the turns though. If you are about to crash into another car and use the break to slow down, sometimes you'll just bounce off them which is a lot faster than blowing up and starting from 0kph. 
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
Mar
Can’t say I’ve played either game actually. However I’m loving the fact you are experiencing (and enjoying) these games that I don’t think were very popular ‘back in the day’. It lends an interesting perspective into games that might otherwise be passed off as nothing notable.

By the way, so you can experience some of the best of Master System, do you want to borrow my Wonder Boy 3 and Castle of Illusion carts? Can bring them on Saturday morning.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Yea, for me this experience is really about going back and appreciating these things that the designers put time into! I'm coming at it very open and that means I'm willing to overlook a few negatives as long as a game is fun to play.

Having said that, a great game is still a great game! When I do play the ones that are iconic i can generally tell why.

Yes! I'd love to play both of those.. I will also bring goodies for you.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
Mar
You had any time to play those MS games I lent you John? Obviously there's a million games to play so I'm not expecting you have. But just wondered your thoughts if so.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
I put a little bit of time into Wonderboy 3, but not too much. I was forced to play it on my Dell HD computer monitor and it just felt wrong. I really don't want that to taint my experience. Hopefully my TV holds up and I can give it some more time this weekend.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0