bakersnarkMDW
In Podcast 16, a new offering from AMD was mentioned - the Classic Arcade Upright. It’s a multi-Video Arcade machine sporting 999 games! Well, Zball Amusements has acquired one and sited it in the Courthouse Hotel in Newtown. The question has arisen though, Is that too many games to search through to find the classic you want to play, or are people happy to sample the lot looking for the missed gem?

Thoughts are the list should be culled a bit (lot) to make it less overwhelming to the casual nostalgic without losing any hard-core appeal. Below is a link to a PDF of the full game list and I invite suggestions as to which should get the chop!

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d84c35_52ec538667244b359ec2dda0e9df4b55.pdf

pdf Classic Arcade Upright Games.pdf     
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Sooo....
Immediately there’s a complication!

I just looked at the Zball machine at the Courthouse and it appears AMD don’t quite know what they’re selling! Here’s a pic of the final selection screen:
9D81EE39-D52B-4BD9-BF23-28C247748FA1.jpeg
Thats not 999 video games - it’s 1299 video games! So the list I posted is wrong (although presumably those games are somewhere on the new list). Here is something like what the 1299 game list is (if you compare the pic above with the end of the list, it’s not quite the same).

http://www.pertharcademachines.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/1299-game-list.pdf

pdf Pandora Games 1299-game-list.pdf
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
I’ll have a stab at the cull. I feel I’ve got enough experience to get what the average joe would like to find on a multicab at the pub.

Itd be good to hear what others think too though.
Quote 1 0
BSS
Are we looking for a curated list? Or just take out the useless games (duplicates and other language)?
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
BSS wrote:
Are we looking for a curated list? Or just take out the useless games (duplicates and other language)?

We obviously want to cull the junk, but there are so many it would be good to also trim the obscure games that bring nothing to the table that isn’t already there. Most people are going to go for the well known games and those not well known are just getting in the way of finding the games people want and should go unless they really have something that isn’t covered by the popular stuff. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
Good to see Ghouls n Ghosts on the list. I don't get to play that game much.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
Good to see Ghouls n Ghosts on the list. I don't get to play that game much.

i also note that the original list of 999 games had 2020 Baseball at 995. (Don’t know what that means exactly 😕)
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
First pass on that list and I have culled it down to 378 games. I reckon it could be brought down to a great list of 250 or thereabouts. Any further culling than that and it would be tough.

Good news is there's a heap of good games on this thing!
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
First pass on that list and I have culled it down to 378 games. I reckon it could be brought down to a great list of 250 or thereabouts. Any further culling than that and it would be tough.

Good news is there's a heap of good games on this thing!

WOW! Not sure we want to cull THAT much. Is there really that much chaff?
I hope you’re leaving stuff OTHER people might like as well (see 2020 Baseball reference above 😉).
[Dont want that Bubble Bobble crap - I heard somewhere it wasn’t very good 😃]
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Roger said to me he wanted to get it down to about 100. So yeah... just following orders!
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
OK. I didn’t get such specifics. Hopefully there’s at least one or two good games brought in each time they up the list by a few hundred, otherwise you may as well get an older unit with more concentrated goodness. It might be interesting to compare the games on the unit at the Orange Grove, which is also Pandora with about half the titles.
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
The deed has been done and Marc has squashed Pandora’s Box down from 1300 Games to a measly 370. People might like to check it out at the Courthouse Hotel and see what they  think of the cull (I think 2020 Baseball may have even slipped through his net!).
Thanks for your help, Marc. 
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
No worries Mark, it was fun.

I don’t know how 2020 Baseball slipped through... I’ll have to turn that one off when I get back to the Courty.
Quote 1 0