Mar
I stupidly decided to try and save some money (!) and bought a USA desoldering gun. One of these beauties, a Hakko FR-300:

51Y7kdqk8rL._SY355_.jpg 

However, I soon came to realise I couldn't just do the dodgy and get a powerpoint converter, because apparently these things don't like to be fed 240v.

So, my fellow tech heads out there. What do you recommend I do? I'm assuming I need a stepdown transformer, but what's a good one that will get the job done, without ballooning my costs beyond what I could have paid for a Australian region Hakko 300? Or am I doomed to suffer in my stupidity and pay more.
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
I'm sure Mark will give you all the details but they don't look as expensive as I thought they would be.

I remember in the guitar shop i used to tell people they were looking at around $300 for the stepdown transformer to stop them buying overseas.
Have actually looked now to seems to depend greatly on how many watts the device requires.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Jaycar (& Altronics) have this for $169:
5464FFFD-86FC-4B09-9ECD-1F43AB4ECE67.jpeg
https://www.jaycar.com.au/250w-240-120v-isolated-stepdown-transformer/p/MF1082

They have a couple of cheaper ones but they don’t make the wattage for your device. They have a 120W model for $119 but your gun requires 140W (so close!). The one I linked actually covers all the way up to 250W, but there’s nothing in between. 😒
This model is fully electrically isolated which probably isn’t necessary for your application. 
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
Mar
Thanks for that Mark. I will add that beast to my shopping list.

I haven't actually soldered (or desoldered for that matter) anything for quite a while. Sadly haven't had time to do anything in the arcade. I need to though - Bride of Pinbot is down with a reset issue (connector on one of the boards needs replacing), and my Mortal Kombat cab has a dying monitor. Time time time....
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
If we can coordinate, I have an ancient Jaycar Card which should give a price of $152.

Here are the specs I found for your desoldering gun (in case you don’t already have them):

AFC557FE-B907-4F0A-8FF0-053BCE59B543.png 
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0