Mar
This video is for our very own table top obsessed gamer - BakersnarkMDW.

It starts off showing a bunch of the games that you can borrow from the stack and play in the freeplay area. There's a lot that were out on the floor though being played. Then the video moves on to where people are playing the games, and I really only got about half of the huge area - it really is table top games as far as the eye can see.

Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Thanks for that Marc. I'm afraid it's mostly confirmed my suspicions. Many of the usual suspects and a whole bunch I don't recognise - as I've said before, too many games being produced thanks to Kickstarter, making the meta-game - acquire, cursory play, acquire the next... The library is going to be moulded by the items needing to be expendable, so there'll be surplus copies of popular games and end-of-line copies of failed titles. I saw a few popular family games like Clue(do), Pictionary, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and even Cards Against Humanity, plus the big sellers at the mass-market end of the main hobby - Carcasonne, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride. The vast bulk in the Euro area and nothing really that I'd travel to Melbourne to play with strangers. Spotted a copy of the Labyrinth game Thrax owns. Also Cacao, a quite successful game designed by Sydney designer Phil Walker-Harding, who also did Sushi-Go - I've played with his brother David (maybe even Cacao once), who runs Grail Games (who published my copy of Circus Flohcati) and has designed some neat little games of his own. There was a Twilight Imperium, which looks like a vast 4X space game which I should like, but is chiefly an overly complicated resource management Euro (snore). (Similar deal as something like Scythe - looks interesting but not - alternate reality WWI Europe with giant steam-powered mechs! It's actually a resource management, victory point generating cardboard Enigma machine with a little bit of area control with over-simplified combat and little manoeuvre because there are only a few areas on the board because they each have to be large enough to accommodate the large minis - modern component styling yet again dictating game-play practicalities.)
On the floor there appeared to be a bunch of roleplaying at the start (D&D I suppose), then some sign of some others of the tournaments - Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, some Collectable Card Game featuring a spiky-haired manga character (I'm guessing Yu-Gi-Oh! [not really my area]). Also spotted a strip of Star Wars: X-wing games on some star field play mats - this is probably the game I'd be most interested in, but I'd likely just be disappointed that it wasn't Star Trek: Attack Wing and I'd be slaughtered by the fanatics!
Random item from my Tabletop Games Collection
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 1 0
bakersnarkMDW
Here’s a pic I took back in August of Twilight Imperium being played at the Lismore Tabletop Gamers Club
2852A682-3B88-4A4D-BD92-F963549D12A2.jpeg

The galaxy of explorable hexes in the middle aren’t so much the problem (though the huge piles of difficult to distinguish single colour plastic spaceships are a bit inelegant), it’s all the cards and mini-boards around the outside that provide rule-changing special powers, point scoring methods and victory conditions - another example of Euros feigning clever with unnecessary layers of complication. I’ll yet again cite the Calandale review of Dominant Species, which has a great deal of general criticism of “Heavy Euros”.

Another pic from the Lismore Gamers, playing Isle of Skye with the expansion set that takes a beautifully simple award-winning game and makes it an unattractive complicated mess!
671FFF29-197B-4B77-8893-35A083C2D6BF.jpeg 

The expansion is the complicated & ugly bingo boards in front of each player (that’s its Enigma machine).
[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0
Mar
I still reckon we could drop you off at the table top area and we'd never see you again for 3 days. Out of those thousands of people, you're bound to get stuck into any number of games for 12 hours at a time. A couple of people I know reasonably well just go for the table top stuff, and I literally don't see them the entire 3 days. Even when trying to find them, because as that video shows (only about half of the tables), it's vast.

Some of the people I know run role playing games there for 2 hour stints each day. So yeah, it's got everything.
Quote 0 0
bakersnarkMDW
Mar wrote:
I still reckon we could drop you off at the table top area and we'd never see you again for 3 days. Out of those thousands of people, you're bound to get stuck into any number of games for 12 hours at a time.

I have done 12  hour stints of boardgaming many times before (often on just the one game) but I saw virtually nothing in that video I would want to play for that (or any) amount of time. 

Mar wrote:

Some of the people I know run role playing games there for 2 hour stints each day. So yeah, it's got everything.

Not really the way I would want to role play. If I was doing a short comp scenario, I would like to do it with a group I already roleplayed with - a team!

As I hoped my initial comments indicated, it has not got everything, but just a LOT of things primarily from a couple of areas which are outside my interest. 
If  you want to see many examples of what it doesn’t have, check out the 227 items in my collection on BGG (link in my signature).

When I was talking about Twilight Imperium above, it might have made sense to link the video of Calandale’s review of the actual game (spoiler - he’s not impressed for reasons I suggested and are mentioned in the other video)

[image] 
See it & the rest here:
Quote 0 0