Mar
Hi everyone, it's been a over a year in the planning but I've finally created a forum on Game the System!

Q: "Why do we need another gaming forum?"

A: Well, the simple answer to that is that I like forums. The more detailed answer to that is I feel now is the time to create something where people can chat about games - all games - in a safe and friendly environment. One that celebrates not only what is the same about us - playing games - but also what makes us different. After all, diverse ideals, cultures and backgrounds is what makes people so interesting. Forums such as these exist already for sure, but those that do are quite content specific. Whereas I want something that covers all gaming, because I like all games! Pinball, retro, modern, everything. Let's talk about it all.

Q: "What's your goal?"

A: I go to a lot of forums and enjoy them. My goal is to have a new place where people can talk safely, and can talk about the things that I think are not discussed as much as they could be - games, and why people live and breathe them. Look at the work we have done on the Player Features. We are here to celebrate who we all are and share our own stories. And if this forum gets 5 members or 500, I don't mind either way.

Q: "So, what should we talk about?"

A: Are you into games? I'm assuming you are. Do you like high level competitive play such as EVO (Street Fighter and other fighting games) or PAPA (world pinball championships), or are you into AGDQ (speed running video and pinball games), social gaming, restoring arcade machines, collecting retro, playing War Hammer - it's all on the table so to speak. Let's talk about what you enjoy and let's enjoy doing what we love - Play!

And please, do read the Community Code of Conduct to understand what sort of community we are trying to make here, and be aware of what is appropriate behaviour: https://forum.gamethesystem.co/post/community-code-of-conduct-9644707?pid=1303155958

Having issues with the forum?
Are you having any trouble using the forum? Linking images and things like that? We know there are some issues with the embedded version of the forum (http://gamethesystem.co/forum). So, if you find them all a little bit too frustrating, you can always go directly to the forum where you shouldn't experience these problems: http://forum.gamethesystem.co
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Very nice. This feels very 'back to basics' for me.
Why games..? Cos it's fun.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 2 0
ausretrogamer

Not much of a forum contributor, more of an 'observer', but I have a good feeling about this one :-)

Retro gaming (and anything 70s/80s pop culture) is my thing, but I am currently well and truly hooked on the Nintendo Switch! I know, I am surprised too! The Switch has made me feel like I used to for Nintendo in the 90s (which is a good thing). Other than that, pinball takes up a lot of my time, and I wouldn't have it any other way! 

Will be checking in on this forum more often and (fingers crossed) contribute too!

[ARG_Banner_hi-res] 
Quote 3 0
Hwaygo
Good to have you around @ausretrogamer . You are indeed a foundation of knowledge! 
What do you think it is about the switch that makes it more like earlier Nintendo?
I've been considering the possibility of getting a switch just to play Splatoon.
It's an amazingly fun game!
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 1 0
ausretrogamer

Thank you for allowing to be on here :-) Haha, thank you for your kind compliment too.

Regarding the Switch, I think it is vintage Nintendo going their own way instead of following - I was one of those people bagging them for making a hybrid handheld / home console. I was terribly wrong, as the Switch is no ordinary console/handheld (it is in a different league to the 3DS as you play console version of games, not some cut down conversion). I think it is also them embracing indie development and making their eShop way easier to use/navigate. The fact that I can carry my Switch and then snap the Joy-Cons and play a 2P game with a mate, that is pure awesomeness. For local multiplier games, I don't think anyone can even get to the Switch. Their online service is still being developed, but they are offering free access for now while they are building it (it goes live in early 2018). I highly recommend the Switch, especially if you were a fan of their systems in the 90s. Even if you weren't, the Switch is different enough and has two of the best games in 2018 (among plenty others) to warrant a purchase ;-)

[ARG_Banner_hi-res] 
Quote 1 0
thrax
Hey all! Wow it's been a while since I've had a forum to contribute too 😉 

I caught wind of the pod from a twitter share from @ausretrogamer and thought I'd tag along for the ride! Personally a big fan of forums, but a bigger fan of smaller forums. I'm also a podacaster, gaming enthusiast and amatuer content creator so always love seeing/hearing/discussing all the things with other people of like-mind.

That's my intro... so hi, and catch you around!
Quote 1 0
Mar
Welcome to the forum thrax! Great to have you on board. Thanks for mentioning your site and podcast, I'm going to check it out.
Quote 0 0
thrax
Please do man 😉 Always keen for new listeners - we get pretty much zero feedback despite knowing a decent amount of people listening to the pod lol
Quote 0 0
Hwaygo
Hi Thrax. Good to have you on board. I will check out the podcast on my way home today. Yea its funny how you sorta always want to attract more people to the forum, but at the same time its really nice to be a part of a small closer community.
[AOAGoN]
[KSy3fj]
[updolaabc99]
Quote 0 0
BSS
We meet again! I was just checking that you're the thrax we know from NGL days, and came across the photo gallery.
http://playtopia.com.au/history/newcastle-gamers-league/ngl-gallery/
Woah.
Quote 0 0
Mar
BSS wrote:
We meet again! I was just checking that you're the thrax we know from NGL days, and came across the photo gallery.
http://playtopia.com.au/history/newcastle-gamers-league/ngl-gallery/
Woah.

Woooowww.... Those photos bring back a lot of memories. A LOT, of memories. Even some that were good!

I kid, those days were a lot of fun. The stacks of pizza boxes, Captain Vegetable coming over from South Australia (I think it was?) and staying at my place, and then the ungrateful bastard winning the tournament! The first NGL LANs at that dodgy building near the stadium. Even a couple of photos of the old clan Legion of the Damned and Chosen! I noticed myself, Shovel, Quade, Withheld...

Crusher, Bryan Allerdice (forgot his username), and who knows how many more familiar faces... Weird seeing it again now.
Quote 0 0
thrax
Holy. Fucking. Shit... you're telling me you're the same BSS and FUCKING MAREM?!

Jesus h christ I think I'm going to have a heart attack hahahahaha.

I (re)created Playtopia in the last few months specifically to keep a record of Newcastle's LAN history somewhere other than my own HDD's, and have kept in touch with a number of people over the years.. Uberhacker is the name you're trying to remember Mar, and I've been speaking to WithHeld on LinkedIn a bit too, he's a busy boy in the IT world. Would love to know where Shov ended up, he's one of the very few that I couldn't contact if I tried... lost track of him after he got a job for Ratbag and relocated.

I was a kid back then but still got my nose into anything and everything I could haha.

Holy shit Mar.... I have an entirely different outlook on your podcast now that I know I'm listening to old aquaintances and not just random dudes 😋

Mind.Blown.
Quote 1 0
Mar
Yeah, crazy stuff. It's weird how people get back in touch, and this must be one of the weirdest!

Shovel is currently living the dream; he's got his own game development studio in Brisbane - Spunge Games. We catch up maybe once every couple of years, but still good friends. If you want to get in touch, here's his twitter:  https://twitter.com/sh0v0r

I've got heaps of stuff lying around on hard drives. Happy to provide any material you want? I've got a lot of Quake demos too. In fact I finally got my IVLAN win recorded to video and uploaded it only a few months ago. You can check it out here:

Sounds like we've got a lot of catching up to do!
Quote 0 0
thrax
Amazing! Yes please mate, I'll take basically anything you've got, and anything that's cool to put up on Playtopia I will too so there's a repository of sorts.

Also awesome about Shov! I'll get in touch with him for sure.
Quote 0 0
Mar
thrax wrote:
Amazing! Yes please mate, I'll take basically anything you've got, and anything that's cool to put up on Playtopia I will too so there's a repository of sorts.

Also awesome about Shov! I'll get in touch with him for sure.

Cool, I'll have a look through my archives. Happy to provide as much as I can. Like you, I'm passionate about this stuff and I love the idea that someone (you!) is out there trying to recored the history of what was once a great gaming community in Newcastle.

I'm heading to New Zealand tomorrow for a week so once I get back I'll start trawling through.

I think we can cross promote all of this stuff - feel free to advertise your podcast on this forum too if you like. The more gaming stuff is out there being talked about the better.
Quote 1 0